We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ithaca to New York: Best Route

Newkirk, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ithaca to New York: Best Route

My son and his best friend want to go to NYC for Fall Break. They want to drive as close as they can but not really drive into the City. Is there a bus/train/subway they can jump on? Since they're only there for a couple of days, they want to hit only the major sights; Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building. Is the City Pass worth the $? Thank you!

Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ithaca to New York: Best Route

If they don't want to drive into the city they should park at one of the metro north stations, but have them check into the policy for leaving their car for a few days. Plus I'm not sure about how safe it is to leave a car for a few days. Its very safe to leave a car for more than 1 day at the Amtrak station in Albany, but they would have to take the train - which is 2 1/2 hours into the city and its probably around $100 for a round trip ticket. They could also leave their car at the Poughkeepsie station and take metro north. Again, not sure about policy and safety.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ithaca to New York: Best Route

They should park their car at the White Plains, NY station. It's a large station, with plenty of parking (a huge parking garage) and I think you can leave your car there safely for a couple of days. But, I would CHECK FIRST with the White Plains police or Metro North (who operate the trains/lots?). It's about a 35 min ride from White Plains to Grand Central and trains run very frequently!

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ithaca to New York: Best Route

For info on how long you can park @ White Plains train station, as well as rates, etc. please contact --- City of White Plains

Tel.#: (914) 422- 1232

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ithaca to New York: Best Route

Link to Metro North webpage on Parking Lots. White Plains is located on the Harlem Line of Metro North Railroad.

as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/station_detail.cfm…

5. Re: Ithaca to New York: Best Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 15:19