We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome or New York in November - help

Which New York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Rome or New York in November - help

Hi guys,

So I am going to have 2 weeks off from 15 November until the first week of December to do some travelling. I cannot decide whether to go spend it in Rome or New York - two places I really want to visit.

I have family in Avezzano which is not too far from Rome so would plan to spend some time there also. If I go to New York I may stop in LA for a couple of nights or San Francisco.

I guess weather is a factor. I don't want to go somewhere that the cold is so unbearable that I cannot enjoy myself.

I will likely be travelling on my own and I am not really interested in staying in a hostel however would like to meet people so based on that I am leaning towards Italy as I have family there. I can speak a bit of Italian and can understand it well. However going all the way to Europe just for two weeks makes me lean the other way.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am completely torn between these two options.

Thank you in advance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
913 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome or New York in November - help

Since you posted in the New York forum instead of the New York City forum, I thought you were asking about Rome, NEW York.! Was interested in why Rome, NY was an option. Guess its not.

My vote- Rome.

But you can post in the NYC forum and see other opinions.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome or New York in November - help

I thought the same thing. Yes, head over to NYC. Dates and prices may be another deciding factor.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,930 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome or New York in November - help

You'll get more opinions and readers on the NY City forum but here are some thoughts:

Here's one of many weather websites that will give you historic temperatures for any dates. You can look at both cities. I don't think there'll be a huge difference between the 2.

www.wunderground.com/travelplanner/index.asp

You should have a look at some hotel websites like

kayak.com

to compare hotel prices. At that time in the US, you'd be here for Thanksgiving (Nov 22) and the beginning of the Xmas shopping season.

I've not spent a lot of time in Rome, but NYC is a very easy place to be on your own (there are thousands of singles who live and work here). I'd think being somewhere where you don't speak the language is more difficult.

London
Level Contributor
185 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome or New York in November - help

Such a tough choice. Rome is my most favourite place in the whole world with New York City a very close second. It will depend very largely on what you want from your holiday. Rome is steeped in thousands of years of history. The first time you see the Coliseum will take your breath away but alternatively NYC the skyscrapers driving across the bridge and seeing the Manhattan skyline, wow!! I'm sure whichever you decide on will be great but I think Rome for me will always win, that's why I have been every year since I turned 21 even if just for a few days.

London
Level Contributor
185 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome or New York in November - help

Such a tough choice. Rome is my most favourite place in the whole world with New York City a very close second. It will depend very largely on what you want from your holiday. Rome is steeped in thousands of years of history. The first time you see the Coliseum will take your breath away but alternatively NYC the skyscrapers driving across the bridge and seeing the Manhattan skyline, wow!! I'm sure whichever you decide on will be great but I think Rome for me will always win, that's why I have been every year since I turned 21 even if just for a few days.

6. Re: Rome or New York in November - help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 18:19