We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

W 47th St to JFK for a flight on Friday morning at 9am

Adelaide, SA
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
W 47th St to JFK for a flight on Friday morning at 9am

Hi

My husband and I are coming to New York from Australia and are looking for some advice regarding the best time to leave our apartment for a 9am flight to Los Angeles.

The problem is it will be on a Friday morning, and I have no idea what the traffic would be like. I assume horrible? We want to get there around 2 hours before our flight. Does this sound alright? And if so, what time should we be leaving if we have take a taxi / booked car.

We will be flying with American Airlines. If you have any suggestions it would be great. I've heard about taking the LLIR train plus the air train to get there. But I'm not sure. Is it easy enough to work out? As I've never been to the states. Could someone tell us how we do this? I just want to make sure we get to our flight on time. We will have baggage to check in.

What do you think would be our best option?

Edited: 25 November 2012, 11:50
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,566 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: W 47th St to JFK for a flight on Friday morning at 9am

It's not that complicated. The LIRR leaves from Penn Station, there's also the E subway that runs to the AirTrain to JFK as another option. In order to give directions, we'll have to know where you're staying. I hope you meant an apartment hotel, and not an apartment rental.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,074 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: W 47th St to JFK for a flight on Friday morning at 9am

If you're taking an international flight, the recommended arrival time is 3 hours prior to flight time. 2 hours is sufficient for domestic.

Traffic shouldn't be that horrible if you are aiming to arrive at the airport at 6 or 7am. Peak commuter traffic is a little later in the morning.

Adelaide, SA
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: W 47th St to JFK for a flight on Friday morning at 9am

Yes, we are actually staying in a rental apartment from airbnb. I know it's not really ideal, but with the prices of New York accommodation we would be staying out in the middle of no where! This way we are 5 mins from Times Square.

We are around the 400's on w 47th St if that helps? How do we go about flagging down a taxi at 6am in the morning if we do attempt to take the train? Do we just keep walking until we see a taxi? In Australia you can book taxis, so I'm not used to not being able to do that! haha.

Yes, it's only a domestic flight, but from what I've heard the security is pretty intense at JFK and it takes a while to get through.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: W 47th St to JFK for a flight on Friday morning at 9am

Since you're apparently staying in a hosted apartment your host should be able to flag you a taxi. :-)

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: W 47th St to JFK for a flight on Friday morning at 9am

By New York State law, the renting of apartments in buildings with 3 or more units (which means EVERYTHING on West 47th street) for less than 30 days is illegal, unless:

1) the permanent tenant is there in the apartmetn with you the whole time (thus the comment by jiminnc)

OR

2) you are getting the apartment for free.

I seriously doubt either is the case here; instead, I suspect you have entered into an illegal contract to rent an apartment illicitly. While you may have been clueless before reading ths that you were doing something that breaks New York State law, you know it now. Thus, assuming that the apartment you rented illegally even exists (and that is a big assumption; it is common to rent non-existent apartments to foreigners who are ignorant of local laws, and have not sufficiently researched how they are spending their money, so many "rentals" are outright scams...), there is absolutely no guarantee that it matches the description given by the renter - and if you find it does not, that is just too bad, becaus esince you have entered into an illegal contract, you have NO recourse under law for non-performance. (You might think of it this way -- do you have a legal recourse in court if the prostitute you hired turned out to be ugly, or the marijuana you bought turned out to be oregano?) Thus, if you are turned into the street by the landlord, or the NYC Department of Buildings or the Department of Consumer Affairs, you are out of luck.

You should end this illegal arrangement THIS INSTANT, and should get a reservation at a lawful hotel. On the other hand, if you don't want to get a legal hotel room, and instead want to continue in this illegal deal wth a shady operator, you will be harming the people who live in this town, and will deserve absolutely NO assistance from anyone on this forum.

So what do you plan on doing now?

6. Re: W 47th St to JFK for a flight on Friday morning at 9am

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 08:17