We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please suggest cities to visit near New York

Which New York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Please suggest cities to visit near New York

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip to USA with a couple of friends. We will arrive in NY 2 march13. We plan to travel around there till 14 march before flying to SF. There, we'll do a west coast road trip.

Our general idea is to stay at NY for 4 days. There we plan to cover:

-broadway + timesquare

-the empire state building 

-central park

-sport event in MSG: maybe the new York ranger

-Guggenheim 

-moma 

-niagara fall (day trip)

Then boston for 3 days.

Now we'd like an advice on which other cities to visit for our remaining time.

We're interested in Chicago, but afraid it will be too exhausting and expensive to fly there. Any suggestions are all welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please suggest cities to visit near New York

Chicago is great, but Washington, DC is a short train ride away and there are many free museums.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,075 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please suggest cities to visit near New York

Niagara Falls is not a day trip, and it's not one I would do in March. Do not waste one of four days in New York City on it.

Philadelphia is a day trip, and Washington DC is a nice two to four day trip. Both are accessible by train or bus.

You'll get more responses if you post in the New York City forum.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please suggest cities to visit near New York

Thank you shanklemsw and brooklynbrdge! I'll add Philadelphia & Washington DC to the plan as you suggested.

So niagara falls is not a good idea. Would you please explain a bit? Bad weather? What if we stay in NY for 4 days and do niagara falls for 2 day ( stay there 1 night) would you think it's ok. If its really not good in march we will skip it.

Thanks again in advance. :)

PS I will post ask in NYC forum. Thank you.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,056 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please suggest cities to visit near New York

Niagara Falls is not a daytrip as it is about an 8 hour drive one-way. Also, the weather in upstate NY and especially around Niagara Falls/Buffalo is unpredictable and can still be snowy - blizzards are not unheard of. Many of the best activities (such as Maid of the Mist) are on the water and better when the weather is warmer. Plus, the city of Niagara Falls is not an appealing place especially compared to the other options city-wise that are closer to NYC.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please suggest cities to visit near New York

Thank you very much. Now, I'm sure we'll skip Niagara Falls!

6. Re: Please suggest cities to visit near New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 20:17