We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A tipping question

Exmouth England
Level Contributor
699 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
A tipping question

I just wanted to try and find out exactly what services people are expected to tip. For example do we tip for everything or just things like waitress service, cabs, meals, tour guides.

Many thanks :-)

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
CityRover Walks NY
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A tipping question

Start with this:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c71510/New-Yor…

Exmouth England
Level Contributor
699 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A tipping question

That's really helpful thanks. What would happen if a tip had already been added to a bill i.e. for a meal but you were unhappy with the food/service. Do you still have to tip regardless??

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,638 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A tipping question

First, it's very rare for a tip to be added to the bill automatically. Second, it's very rare to get service that's so bad that it wouldn't deserve a standard tip. (You don't withhold tip for food, since the waitress doesn't also cook.) IF you were in a place taht automatically added the tip, AND you got service so atrocious that the waitress doesn't deserve to be able to be paid at all for serving you - if she deserves to have worked for free, it was THAT bad - then you ask to see the manager, and you explain that you'd like the automatic tip removed.

Exmouth England
Level Contributor
699 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A tipping question

Ok thanks Brooklyn Bridge, I didn't mean to offend, I was just not too sure what exactly I would be tipping for, i.e. chef and waitress/just waitress/just chef etc.. Your answer has cleared this up for me. I was not for one minute implying that the waitress work for free as they work extremely hard and have long hours :-)

5. Re: A tipping question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 07:16