We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on 2-3 day trip from NYC to enjoy outdoors

Which New York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on 2-3 day trip from NYC to enjoy outdoors

Hi...I will be visiting NYC for three days with my husband and then we would like to spend another 2-3 days in a more "rustic" location. Was thinking about the Finger Lakes, Catskills or Hudson Valley. I would love to visit the Adriondaks but I think the 5 hour drive from the city cuts into our time too much. We are looking to stay in a resort or bed and breakfast and want to spend as much time out doors as possible. Hiking, fishing, scenic drives, etc...We will be visiting in late June. Any suggestions as to locations that would fit the bill would be greatly appreciated. I found Letchworth State Park in Livingston and I think something like that would be good...hiking during the day and maybe some nice restaurants during the evening. Doesn't have to be fancy...Thanks.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on 2-3 day trip from NYC to enjoy outdoors

The drive to Letchworth is also about 5 hours. The eastern edge of the Finger Lakes is a good 3.5 hours. With limited time, you should focus on the Hudson Valley or the Catskills.

Kaaterskill Falls (Catskills) would be a good destination as there are other great hikes in the immediate area.

catskillcountry.info/haines-falls_area/day-h…

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on 2-3 day trip from NYC to enjoy outdoors

Great...Thanks for the info and link. What do you think about the Ithaca or Watkins Glen area?

Northeast US
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on 2-3 day trip from NYC to enjoy outdoors

I live about 20 miles from each of these locations and the good news is that late June is one of the best times to be here.

Things are green, it's warm and there are plenty of things to do.

Watkins and Ithaca both have state parks nearby with gorges, waterfalls, hiking, picnicking and swimming.

Even now, one of my favorite summer getaways is a hike through the gorge in Watkins on a hot summer day.

Ithaca is more urban, being a college town, and has several nice restaurants in and around the city.

Watkins also has a few decent restaurants as well as a tour boat on the lake with a dinner option.

Being I live here I'm not an expert on lodging but there are indeed hotels in and around each community as well as B & B's. Just check for race weekends in Watkins as things will be very busy there then.

Both lakes have tons of wineries and while the wine is horrifying the tours are fun, many have restaurants with great views and ambiance for a nice summer day or evening.

Corning isn't far from either community and they also have decent hotels, nice restaurants and the world famous glass museum and company store.

Lastly, being summers are so short here, there will be fairs and festivals going on most every weekend.

I'm not an expert on the Catskills but they are indeed closer to the city and should have things to do.

The Adirondacks are great and yes, they are a couple hours further. If you go in late June you may see me at Limekiln Lake State Park and enjoying the kitsch of Enchanted Forest in Old Forge.

Please feel free to ask or pm if you have questions I can try to help with.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on 2-3 day trip from NYC to enjoy outdoors

If you decide to travel to the Southern Adirondacks (3.5-4 hours from NYC), here are some B&B suggestions:

http://www.garnet-hill.com

http://www.friendslake.com

http://www.theinnaterlowest.com (shortest drive)

http://www.boathousebb.com

An all-inclusive with activities included:

http://www.ridinhy.com

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on 2-3 day trip from NYC to enjoy outdoors

Thanks everybody for your help...I am going to look into the South Adriondacks...I think its a manageable drive. I still like the sound of Ithaca and Watkins...so many choices!

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on 2-3 day trip from NYC to enjoy outdoors

I much prefer Ithaca to Watkins Glen (the village) although the state park (same name) in WG is will worth your time. You could visit it from Ithaca as it is only 20 miles away. Ithaca has three wonderful state parks within its vicinity (Buttermilk, Taughannock and Robert Treman; my favorite is Robert Treman but any of them are well worth visiting). There is also a great weekend farmers market that is worth checking out.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on 2-3 day trip from NYC to enjoy outdoors

Ok...any suggestions on how to get to Ithaca from the city? I am looking into renting a car but the prices seem pretty expensive. Usually I don't rent from the airport because it tends to be more expensive but in this case they are about the same. Can we take a bus or train to somewhere outside the city and rent a car from there? Maybe the hassle of that just isn't worth it...

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions on 2-3 day trip from NYC to enjoy outdoors

I can't help with Ithaca, but for the Southern Adirondacks, you can take the train to Fort Edward and arrange for a hotel pickup. Another easy option is to take the train to Saratoga Springs, and rent a car from there. The Albany train station is larger but doesn't have easy access to car rental agencies. HTH.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions on 2-3 day trip from NYC to enjoy outdoors

Thanks so much for your help and all the info. I appreciate it! :o)

conn
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions on 2-3 day trip from NYC to enjoy outdoors

A different idea might be t head over to the Delaware Water Gap easy drive from NYC great hiking including the Appalachain trail. water falls as well as water based activities and lot of great history.