We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Award Stays with Hilton

Which New York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Darlington, Maryland
Level Contributor
222 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Award Stays with Hilton

This is an interesting story of unintended consequences in Hotel Marketing

I have been a Hilton Honors member for about 20 years. I try to stay at Hilton when I travel on business, the same way I try to fly on United. Points accumulate faster when you focus on one or two providers.

And our primary use of Hilton points is at the Doubletree Guest Suites in Times Square when my family is in town for the Macy's Parade. I've been staying at the Doubletree on points also for nearly 20 years. I usually earn enough points in a single year to take care of that Thanksgiving stay.

I convert my Amtrak Miles to Hilton points (they have a favorable exchange rate), and I earn points on my electric bill for Hilton.

Everything points to Hilton.

Until today.

Hilton just changed their points redemption policies, but kept the points earning ratios the same. And now my Thanksgiving Doubletree stay, which used to be 50,000 points a night, is now 95,000 points a night!

And I just did something I've never done before. I have an annual interactive television conference that I always attend in San Francisco in the late Spring. And the rates at the Hilton Union Square are usually pretty good, so I stay there to earn points.

But now, under the new program, there is NO WAY I will earn enough points in a year for my Thanksgiving stay -- not even close. It will actually be less expensive to pay for the room, rather than pay for sufficient Hilton stays to earn the necessary points.

So I canceled the Hilton Union Square reservation. As I was doing it I realized I've never NOT stayed at a Hilton on business when the cost was reasonable.

But now, as Hilton is trying to manage their loyalty program, they have at least one extremely loyal guest who is going to severely cut back on Hilton stays.

There is no longer a reason to do it.

Unintended consequences.

Level Contributor
2,378 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Award Stays with Hilton

The bad news is most hotel programs have done the same thing. Marriott, Holiday Inn etc.

I would let Hilton know but I am sure they do not care.

Level Contributor
2,378 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Award Stays with Hilton

I just read an interesting article about this. If you have a loyality credit card from American Express or Citi let them know you are upset about these changes. They will not be too happy when people start canceling their cards.

Funny how everyone has done this at once. Almost like it was planned. Just saying .....

3. Re: Award Stays with Hilton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 07:17