We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be warned-renting appartments in New York

nsw,australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Be warned-renting appartments in New York

Wanting to let people know of our experience with renting an appartment in New York.

We are 4 girls(40+)from Sydney,Australia taking a trip to New York ,we made enquiries into renting an appartment for 1 week.Not knowing at the time that this is illegal :(.after several enquiries and replies we settled on one.

the "woman" we were dealing with ,(emails) seemed lovely ,very obliging ,couldnt do enough,gave details of the appartment ,where to meet her ,phone numbers,etc etc,but we needed to give our info and pay via paypal quickly.luckily my friend read somewhere about short term rentals,so we started researching on T.A.and found someone else had dealt with the same person .a couple of years ago.so we realised it was a scam-no money had been sent,thankfully.

it is two days since any emails have been sent or received and i was coming home from work to send one to cancel everything,when guess what?i have received one from this woman cancelling everything !!!!!.

so please BE WARNED,if anyone wants more specific information if you think you have dealt with this person let me know-not sure about putting names and addresses on this forum.Be very careful. :) hope this saves someone the hassle we have been through,though we have not lost any money we have learnt.:)

1. Re: Be warned-renting appartments in New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 06:18