We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Nights New York Visit & Parking

Which New York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dodgeville...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
4 Nights New York Visit & Parking

Hi,

We are planning to visit Newyork during the last weekend of May (05/31/2013. - 06/04/2013). We are landing at LaGuardia airport (LGA) at 9 AM in the morning and renting a van at the airport. We are staying at Ridgefield, NJ planning to visit NYC attractrions from there. We purchased 3 days NYC pass (with out HOHO bus) and will be using subways for local transit. I would like to know the following:

1. A daily parking garage closest to outside of Newyork which has a nearby subway station. I don't want to drive into the city streets of Newyork. Can some one help? I have two kids, so the subway has to be very close to the parking garage.

2. With two kids, I guess my options will be limited in terms of visiting the attractions with a three day pass. What are the must-see attractions? I have list of attractions that gives Fast Track entry with the NYC passes and we are planning to finish the FT attractions first.

3. On Friday (05/31), we are not going to use the NYC pass as it will be afternoon once we settle at the hotel. What is best place to cover on that day afternoon? I am thinking of visiting Coney Island beach near Long Island. Is this is a good place to visit? I prefer some attraction that is not covered by the NYC pass. Any preferable attractions other than coney island?

Thanks,

Balaji.

NY
Level Contributor
781 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Nights New York Visit & Parking

www.bestparking.com has a list of locations for parking in Manhattan, and areas close to Manhattan. I think this website will be helpful.

travelus73

Edited: 28 May 2013, 23:14
Dodgeville...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Nights New York Visit & Parking

I already visited this link and noted down couple of parking garages. However, I am looking for a garage outside of new york city, but closest to a subway.

Thanks,

Balaji.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Nights New York Visit & Parking

The subway only runs in nyc itself

Dodgeville...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Nights New York Visit & Parking

Thanks for the response. I know the subway runs only with in New york. I am looking for a garage just at the edge of New York so that I don't have to drive in the heavy traffic.

Thanks,

Balaji.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Nights New York Visit & Parking

We just got back from NYC (July 8, 2013) and really anxious to share with everyone about our parking luck. We stayed at mid-town east and spent only $20/day for parking!

Groupon has this Icon parking for $20 for 24 hours, expiring in 20 days. Once you buy it it's good till Aug 31, 2013. http://www.groupon.com/deals/icon-parking-25

The trick is you need to take your car out every 24 hours and show this Groupon when picking up the car every time.

We are very pleased so want everyone take advantage of this parking deal.

Kate

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Nights New York Visit & Parking

Many of the better rates for parking in Manhattan will charge extra for a van, if they'll take a van at all.

You're asking about parking on the "edge of New York City." Coming from New Jersey this will be in the middle of the Hudson River! No parking spaces available, except for one time events like the "Miracle on the Hudson" plane landing.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Nights New York Visit & Parking

Ours is Honda Odysey (Mini Van) and we used the Groupon $20 for Icon parking at 47th between 2nd and 3rd Avenue, also 45th between 2nd and 3rd Avenue. We were not charged extra. It was July 4th week, 2013.

I was prepared to pay $15 extra for our van but did not.

I was not sure at first so I bought one and tried and it worked and then I bought 3 more as we stayed for 4 nights. Here's the link

http://www.groupon.com/deals/icon-parking-25

You have to sign up for Groupon.

We are so pleased with this deal that we really want everyone to take advantage of it. I'm not associated with Groupon. First time user

Also if you are not sure if you should stay out of the city to save money, I suggest you use priceline.com to book a hotel in the city. We stayed at Roosevelt at 45th/Madison. What a pleasant stay. Minutes away from Grand Central and Time Square and everything. You need practice bidding the hotel though but I found the best price you can get is booking hotel a week ahead of time. If you are arriving next Sunday then try to bid this Sunday. Believe me hotel in Jersey city does not offer better price than those in the city.

A $30 7 day Metro pass is nice to have as well. You can use it for bus and subway.

Hope this helps

Kate

Edited: 14 July 2013, 02:52
8. Re: 4 Nights New York Visit & Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 06:19