We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13 days New York and surrounding - help needed

SG
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
13 days New York and surrounding - help needed

I'm planning to go to the East Coast for 13 days in early September and have the following destinations in mind.

New York (5D), Niagara Falls (1D), Washington DC + Philadelphia (3D),

Orlando (2D)

The "outlier" would be Disneyworld in Orlando as my travel partner really wants to go there. Can anyone suggest the best route to go about all these destinations? We don't drive so will likely be taking domestic flights and bus/railway. There's a buffer of 2 days with the above itinerary, where do you suggest we add/minus a day?

TIA!

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Long Island NY
Level Contributor
794 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 13 days New York and surrounding - help needed

I think this is way too aggressive. At a minimum cut out Orlando, but consider loosing Niagara too. Keep in mind that you will lose almost an entire day to travel if you fly because of wait time at the airport and security. None of these airports are near where you want to be so you will have to factor in travel to and from the airport as well. If you fly into DC and out of NYC you could spend a nice 13 days. Look into Amtrak (train) as a way to get between these 3 cities or consider adding Boston (after NYC if you start in DC and work North). The train puts you in the heart of the city and will save you time. If you are really stuck on adding Niagara then start or end there to avoid having to make the trip twice.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
634 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 13 days New York and surrounding - help needed

Unless you know for certain that this will be your only chance to ever see Niagara Falls, I would skip that. I understand that it's an iconic location, but the travel time and expense from the main part of your itinerary is really the biggest burden to the itinerary. There are two other factors you don't mention - what time of year, and where are you coming from/flying into? Unless the trip is between May, maybe April, and October, Niagara Falls is really kind of out.

However, under this situation you could feasibly do it. I'm going to assume you're flying into/out of NYC, though it would still work from DC, just reorder things. If you fly into NYC, spend the first part of the trip thee. Jet Blue has regular flights between NYC and Buffalo, grab an early morning flight to Buffalo. now my plan is to have you not stay over in Buffalo, so you would want to rent a car for the day. If you really don't want to do that, try and make sure that whatever hotel you choose is close to the airport and they will let you drop off the luggage, then you can take a shuttle or something similar to the falls. Basically, you don't want to be lugging your luggage around NF. You don't mention if you are from the US or outside, this may make a difference as to whether you cross over to the Canadian side (passport required for everyone). You can still do the Maid of the Mist and some other attractions at the falls from the US side, though (and you can also take the car over if you rent it, just let them know you plan on doing so). Anyway, check flight availability to Orlando, Jet Blue and AirTran have direct flights, if you can leave that same night, that would be vastly preferable to an early morning flight. It's going to be an insanely long day, though. If you can't get a flight to Orlando until later in the day (I'd say past 10AM, really 8AM), you're taking so much time out of your first of two days in Orlando to make it almost pointless.

From Orlando, fly to DC, then take the train to Philly, then the train to NY the night before your flight out.

From what I see you're selling DC a little short, also. You could spend 5 full days there, or more. Splitting three days between that and Philly, well... Is your heart set on Philly? I guess what I would strongly suggest is dropping Philly or Niagara Falls on this trip and use the time planned for one on the other.

HTH.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Maid of the Mist
Maid of the Mist
4,232 Reviews
Niagara Falls, NY
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
Ontario, Canada
SG
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 13 days New York and surrounding - help needed

Thanks both for the great advice! Yes I'm flying in/out NYC and the travel period as mentioned is early September.

I did check Jet Blue and was initially thinking of the same route as you suggested (NY-NF-Orlando-DC-NY). Will it help if I increase my trip to 15D?

in any case, given your replies, I will discuss with my travel partner to drop either NF or Orlando and give more time to the other cities.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
634 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 13 days New York and surrounding - help needed

Sorry, missed the early Sept part :)

This is kind of weird, I know, but here's my thinking. You are considering two major detours, so to speak, off your itinerary. Now if you do one of them, you will have two "travel segments", i.e. packing, getting to airport, traveling, leaving airport, unpacking. These travel segments are the time and expense hassles. But in your situation, because of the potential for direct flights, you can do both places with only three travel segments, which sort of makes them a value in that respect. The time between NYC and Orlando is about the same as Buffalo to Orlando, so....

I'm hoping I'm being somewhat cogent with that analysis, I'm certainly not trying to be confusing. If this is realistically your only chance to ever see both places, it can definitely be done with a little effort. If there's a more than reasonable chance that you'll return to the area someday, then split them up. As I mentioned, I can totally understand wanting to see them, they're two iconic places. I just think the key is getting into and out of Buffalo in <24 hours - any more and you're really biting into a big chunk of the vacation to do it.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
SG
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 13 days New York and surrounding - help needed

Thanks I get what you mean, cuz if we get in/out of Buffalo without packing/unpacking it would save time. So I guess it's either that we leave both NF and Orlando out, or go all in.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
6. Re: 13 days New York and surrounding - help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:19