We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upstate NY vacation ideas, anyone?

new york
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Upstate NY vacation ideas, anyone?

I'd like to take my wife on a 5 night vacation in upstate NY for her birthday. We are both in our mid-30's and live in NYC. When I look at a map, I have no clue where to go or what to do. Anyone have any comments or ideas? Is this a good vacation idea? If so, where should we go and what should we do? Where should we stay?

Thanks!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upstate NY vacation ideas, anyone?

When are you looking to go?

new york
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Upstate NY vacation ideas, anyone?

From July 27 to July 31.

Also, I would like to go somewhere that is no further than 3 hours away from NYC by car.

I know there are typical vacation spots such as the Hamptons, but my wife does not like the beach, so I thought a rural vacation might better suit her.

Edited: 21 July 2013, 23:48
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upstate NY vacation ideas, anyone?

If you have any interest in horse racing, come to Saratoga.

It is a great setting for 30-somethings to explore.

If not, maybe a trip to Tanglewood/Lenox (music and museums) or Cooperstown (Glimmerglass Opera and Wine Tour)?

What are your interests? Shopping, arts, outdoors?

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Upstate NY vacation ideas, anyone?

Saratoga is beautiful my son lives there. There is horse racing, museum's good food downtown!!! 20 min north is like George there is a strip with amusement parks lots of shopping!!! You have the outlet malls which I'm sure your wife would love as well as boat excursions on the lake!!!! Perhaps some shopping topped off with a sunset cruise with champagne on the Lake!!!!! Its a great place to vacation I've been going there since I was a child, I am a 44 YO female and I never get tired of it!!!! You should also check out the trains, there are some great scenic trips!!! I would highly recommend starting in Saratoga and then stay in Lake George, there are Castles and gorgeous Inss to stay in!!! If you can't find something you like there you are either dead or totally unpleasable!!!trust me your wife will love it!!! Sharon furey

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upstate NY vacation ideas, anyone?

Saratoga is an excellent suggestion. The Hudson Valley also offers a wide variety of accommodations, restaurants, and sites to visit.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upstate NY vacation ideas, anyone?

This thread is from last summer.

7. Re: Upstate NY vacation ideas, anyone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 05:15