We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone ever heard about Smart Rentals Inc.?

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone ever heard about Smart Rentals Inc.?

Hello, there.

I used the Home Away app in order to inquire on the termos of rental regardin 2 properties in Manhattan. I received answers from both owners, through Home Away.

To my surprise, though, I also received an email from Smart Rentals Inc, with a third apartment, "following my request" (or something like that). It´d be nice, except that:

a) I'd never written to them, let alone requesting any info on properties in Manhattan;

b) their answer did not come through Home Away (actually they later clarified that they don´t work with Home Away...);

c) if you google the corporation´s name, you´ll find only the links posted by the corporation itself;

d) even when I googled the name of the lady that signed the msg I couldn´t find a single link about her (nowadays!!!???).

I wrote to Smart Rentals kindly requesting they explained all that to me. They only said they don't work with Home Away and that the property is available, in case I want it.

I sent a msg to Home Away customer´s service, but so far haven´t heard from them.

Does anyone have a comment or info (be it good or bad) about Smart Rentals?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,190 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone ever heard about Smart Rentals Inc.?

This is the general forum for all of New York State. Go to the New York City forum, and take a look at the Top Questions section. Short term apartment rentals are almost all illegal in NYC. You will also find many threads on the subject if you do a forum search.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone ever heard about Smart Rentals Inc.?

Not only are short term apartment rentals almost always illegal in NY, be advised that the authorities are not your only potential problem. Other residents and owners/managers of apartment buildings where people engage in these illegal rentals are striking back too. Don't be surprised if you show up, even with the key in hand, and get turned away at the door by the doorman or concierge, or have the super or building manager show up at the door telling you to scram.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone ever heard about Smart Rentals Inc.?

Lesson -- Do not EVER consider renting an apartment, or room, or suite, or studio or ANY property whatsoever from any person or private company/entity in NYC! They are most likely ILLEGAL. You are setting yourself up to get RIPPED OFF and will have NO legal recourse to get your money back! If you are coming to NY, deal with a legal HOTEL!

Edited: 01 August 2013, 23:38
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone ever heard about Smart Rentals Inc.?

Had the same thing happen two days ago after searching other sites for Paris rentals. I'm suspicious.

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone ever heard about Smart Rentals Inc.?

Had the same thing happen two days ago after searching other sites for Paris rentals. I'm suspicious.....the apartment they offered seems a bit too good to be legit.

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone ever heard about Smart Rentals Inc.?

Many thanks!

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone ever heard about Smart Rentals Inc.?

The telephone number listed on the Smart Rentals website has been reported as being involved in scams 21 times in the past 6 months.

scamdex.com/ScamTipsAnal/…448432892307

Minneapolis, MN
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone ever heard about Smart Rentals Inc.?

This happened to my wife yesterday for our Paris search. Among other sites, she used homeaway.com. The location, price and photos looked WAY too good to be true. Besides this, what got me thinking was the email address is smartrentalsinc@gmail.com. On their website, I sent another email to inquires@smartrentalsinc.com and have not heard back from them.

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone ever heard about Smart Rentals Inc.?

Hi Everyone,

Smart Rentals has just come to our attention as property owners. We (thankfully) have had two astute potential renters contact us first when they saw a 'too good to be true' deal on our own property in Islamorada, Florida Keys.

We have never given authorization to any companies outside of VRBO, Homeaway, Vacation Rentals, Flipkey and the Official Florida Keys Tourism Board site to list our property. Smart Rentals Inc. has effectively illegally listed our property and appears to be phishing off the Homeaway site with unsolicited offers to potential renters with ridiculous discounts including airport transfers, daily housekeeping and free laundry service to name a few of the perks. Of course some major alarms bells should be the 100% deposit due within 10 days, unsolicited contact and overseas company for a US based rental.

My advice to anyone is NOT to use Smart Rentals Inc.

Our personal site for our property is www.floridathelastresort.com and just to be clear we are in NO WAY associated with Smart Rentals.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone ever heard about Smart Rentals Inc.?

Yes, they stole $1,800 from me when I thought i was booking a rental in Paris. When i was communicating with legitimate sites on line such as VBRO and www.haveinparis.com, all of a sudden i got an email from smart rentals totally unsolicited, and i fell for it. Not only did I wire the money, they then emailed me and said "Can you cancel the wire, we have an alternate way for you to send the money"...as in they were trying to get me to submit payment to them TWICE. I reported it to wire fraud with my bank and filed a police report. I cannot believe this website is still up, its still there today.