We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to NY - need help!!!

Athens, Georgia
2 posts
Save Topic
First time to NY - need help!!!

Going to NY - March 27 - 31, 2014. I hear it's cheaper to stay in NJ? Hotel recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Where all will the subway system get us to? I have heard it's not a good idea to rent a car - parking is expensive. We will attend 2 Broadway shows, Chinatown, Statue of Liberty, Michael and Kelly show and hopefully time to visit Hoboken - The Cake Boss shop. Which airport, hotels, car rental or not...... subway system help!

Just me and my college aged daughter - we want to feel safe!

Thanks for your help!

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to NY - need help!!!

first of all reprint in New york city forum

It is a little cheaper to stay in NJ, but it;s a pain to travel back and forth as good as the subway system is

Stay closest to where you want to do most of your touring

Flying into any of the major airports will get you to where you want to be (unless you decide to stay in NJ then you want to fly into Newark)

Renting a car is probably a waste

if you're worried about price try priceline?

Athens, Georgia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to NY - need help!!!

Thank you... so if we stay in NYC - whats the easiest/cheapest way to visit Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty? That will be a different rail system, correct? The subway is going to take us just about any place/ or very close to where we want to go in the city?

I've read that using the subway, is a science for sure!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to NY - need help!!!

This is the general forum for all of New York State. You should re-post to the New York City forum. It's much more active, and you should get more responses.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,244 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to NY - need help!!!

jigriff7...........as previously suggested, post your questions regarding New York City on the actual forum specific to the city itself, rather than this forum for the State of New York............if you click on the blue link contained within this post, you will transfer to the Trip Advisor Travel Page for NYC....this page is very informative and should help to answer some of your questions, in addition to giving you some great tips for your upcoming visit .......you can also access the forum for New York City from there ...........

Edited: 15 October 2013, 18:26
5. Re: First time to NY - need help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 06:20