We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending 3 days in mid-June 2014

Which New York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
92 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Spending 3 days in mid-June 2014

Hi everyone!

Travelling from Norway for a few days in NYC. Most likely will be staying somewhere on Manhattan close to Times Square i guess.

Just wondering if there's anything new since the summer of 2009 our party should look into since we've been once before to New York?

Recommendations for:

- Place to stay

- Places to eat good

- New attractions or "must se" stuff

- Good shows or great comedy clubs (we attended Stomp last time and loved it)

We will be flying in and MAYBE be leaving by car since we are starting our roadtrip from New York. Our first stop after NYC is the Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey.

Keep in mind we are 3 adults bringing 3 large pieces of luggage plus some smaller back packs. Guessing it can be a problem taking public transport to Six Flags when we leave but I'm also a bit nervous with the thought of driving out of NYC.

Thanks in advance you guys :-)

Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending 3 days in mid-June 2014

Suggestion is if you can find a good hotel rate in Times Square..take it..otherwise midtown area hotels are good . No matter which hotel you stay in manhattan its somewhat expensive.

Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
92 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending 3 days in mid-June 2014

Last time we stayed at Marriot on Times Squre because of a great deal and that was just perfect! :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending 3 days in mid-June 2014

1) this is the NY state forum. You'll find more readers on the NY City forum

2) your questions are far too broad. There are hundreds of hotels, THOUSANDS of restaurants...I suggest when you repost you provide more details about who you are( do you need 3 beds, 2 beds etc.) , budgets etc. Mid June is very expensive in NYC hotels and the biggest change you're likely to see since 2009 is hotel prices have skyrocketed. Prices were depressed after the stock market crash of 2008.

Here's a stab at some of your questions

Since you've already stayed in Times Square, stay somewhere else. Mybe try staying downtown on the lwoer east side, in Soho or Tribeca.

The High Line Park will be new to you.

Thehighline.org

"Sleep No More" is a popular interacative play.

There is no public transport to 6 Flags as far as I know but you might want to take a train part of the way and rent a car somewhere other than NYC where it's likely to be a lot cheaper. Where else are you headed?

Eater.com

Seriouseats.com

Are good sites for restaurants.

Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
92 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending 3 days in mid-June 2014

Sorry about the wrong posting :-)

We are a party of three and we're going to stay at the same room with two double beds.

One of the guys in the party has not been to NYC before so he probably would want to experience Times Square and the action around it.

Like I said in my first post, we like shows and comedy. Would want to see some of the landmarks but I'm pretty up to speed on those.

We're going to Six Flags and from there we're stopping by Philadelphia and then heading to DC. Then up towards Ohio and Cedar Point. From there to Chicago.

Once finished in Chicago we will fly to Texas and do some exploring there aswell.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending 3 days in mid-June 2014

You don't have to stay in Times Square to experience it. You might be amazed at how much more CROWDED its gotten there. The best comedy clubs are not there and the most interesting off Broadwy theater is usually not there either. There are some hotels with 2 queen beds vs the more typical 2 doubles. In Times Square the Hilton Times Square has 2 queen rooms. Just north of Times Square in a bit saner area the Hilton Garden Inn Times square and the Hampton Inn Times Square North have 2 queens.

Further downtown in younger, more interesting areas, the new Fairfield Inn Downtown on Henry St. has 2 queens as does the Hampton Inn chelsea.

Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
92 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending 3 days in mid-June 2014

Thanks again for valuable information!

I will manage to look up the correct hotel for our needs as soon as I know which part of NYC we should be staying at :-)

I've actually taken public transport to Six Flags once before but then again... Not with 3 pieces of large luggage plus some minor backpacks.

That is actually my main concern at the moment and it's giving me a nice headache.

"How to get out of New York to the Six Flags in New Jersey with that much luggage"

Haha, wierd to use that much energy on getting out but I really need to think that part through :-)

Maybe some of the neighbourhoods or parts of the city will be easier to get out from? Maybe by car? Or maybe just close enough to the train station so we actually can carry our luggage onto the train?

Sorry for the wierd focus in these questions as I much rather should be asking about the fun parts :-)

7. Re: Spending 3 days in mid-June 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 05:21