We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hall of Fame tour and transportation

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Hall of Fame tour and transportation

Good morning, I am trying to plot out the details for a Hall of Fame tour. Our party is Mom, Dad, 11 yr old & 9 year old boys. We live outside of Boston and want to fly North and work our way back home via car. (Or we could rent a car and fly home) I was considering flying into Toronto (Hockey Hall of Fame, stay 3 nights) taking the train down to Niagara Falls, (stay 2 nights at a Fallsview hotel), cross over the border and rent a car...drive down to Cooperstown (Baseball Hall of Fame, stay 2 nights), drive to Springfield (Basketball Hall of Fame, stay at my parents) Drive to Logan to drop off rental and pick up our car. Has anyone helped someone plan out a one way trip like this? Plane tickets from Boston to Toronto or Buffalo are only about $100 a person one way. Seems like a good tradeoff for the long drive out. Thoughts/ideas? (Yes, I know that Football HOF is in Ohio...but the extra miles don't make sense for our timing. We are really a Hockey/Baseball family...Basketball is along the way)

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hall of Fame tour and transportation

Have you looked into the cost of doing a one-way car rental? Drop-off fees can be steep, and may vary depending on exactly where you want to pick up and return the car, and perhaps even when you want to do it.

Also factor in the cost of airport parking, airport transportation to your Toronto hotel, train tickets from Toronto to NF, possible transportation costs to get from the NF train station to your hotel, transportation costs to get from your NF hotel to wherever you plan to pick up your car rental (with luggage), possible inconvenience of being without a car in NF. Also the cost of the rental car when you do get it, plus the time and logistics of all this.

It's unclear which NF hotel you are staying in (several have "fallsview" in the name). Does the hotel provide a shuttle service from the train and to other places?

The long drive will be a pain, but in this case, I think it might be more convenient. You may have to pay to park in Toronto but it could still be worth it.

Stepping back a bit, I think trying to do all of the HOF's is making your trip very complicated. It's easy for you to do Cooperstown and Springfield any time you want with a quick weekend drive. If you drop those, then it's just a straightforward trip to Toronto and Niagara Falls. Fly to BUF, rent a car (very common for those car rentals to permit border crossing), drive to do your Toronto and NF thing, return to BUF and fly home.

Edited: 31 October 2013, 15:51
Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hall of Fame tour and transportation

Hi Christnp, thank you for your reply. It looks as if car rental from the Buffalo Airport to Boston will be between $200 and $370 depending on compact or SUV. There is a good chance we can get family to drop us off and pick us up at the airport in Boston. I took my husband to Toronto 2 years ago for his birthday. We flew in and out of the city but it seemed like parking in the city would be a hassle and expensive, here in Boston parking at a hotel can run $40-$50 a night.

I have not decied on which Fallsview hotel we should stay at. Do you have a recommendation? I have read through many of the tripadvisor reviews and can't really tell one over the other.

As far as the Hall of fame tour being complicated...I guess that's part of the appeal. As a mom to 2 sons and married to a sportsfan...this will be one of those...remember the summer when... Since the Red Sox won the World Series last night...can you imagine what the trip will be like if the Bruins win too? ;)

In Toronto, my goal would be to pick a hotel near the Toronto train station so that we can walk easily with roller bags. Have you taken the train from Toronto to Niagara Falls? I thought it would be a nice way to relax and enjoy the view. I'll have to investigate the distance from the Niagara train station to the hotels and think about that cost. It appears that a one person shuttle from the Canadian falls hotels to the Buffalo airport is $55. Not sure if that would be x 4 or discounted for additional passengers. Still mulling over all the possibilities. Thanks again for your response.

3. Re: Hall of Fame tour and transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2014, 03:17