We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ESTA US Visa Waiver Requirements from Austtralia

Which New York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bondi, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
ESTA US Visa Waiver Requirements from Austtralia

Hi

I am an Australian flying from Australia to the US on a return ticket for a 3 month period and plan to use the ESTA visa waiver to enter. First trip to the US.

My question is: What happens if I decide I want to stay longer than 90 days (my return leg can be changed). Do I need to exit the country (eg. to Mexico/Canada) and then apply for a further (2nd) ESTA to re-enter the US, or can I / do I need to apply for a visa from within the US if I decide to stay past 90 days.

I have tried to research this advice from the ESTA website and even made on line inquiry to the US Visa service desk but they have simply responded it is my decision and closed the inquiry case!!.

Thanks

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,804 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ESTA US Visa Waiver Requirements from Austtralia

You cannot stay longer than 90 days. Going to Mexico or Canada doesn't count as leaving. You'd have to leave the continent entirely and then renter. The ESTA is good for a period of two years, but each visit can't be more then 90 days. And remember, an ESTA isn't a guarantee of entry. They can still decide to bar you at the border if they think you're trying to re-enter to overstay.

queensland
Level Contributor
430 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ESTA US Visa Waiver Requirements from Austtralia

I am an Australian citizen and have applied for the ESTA and it has been approved. I will be in Canada for a month and have been in Alaska for 12 days. On 22nd June I fly to Europe for approximately 2 months. I would like to come back to the US around end of August and would like to spend approximately 90 days or less in the US then, is this possible under the ESTA program, I have read that I can have multiple entries to the US in the the two years that my ESTA is valid but it does not say if I have to be out of the US for 90 days. Can anyone clarify if I can enter the US after being out of the country for approximately two months. My ESTA expires April 2015. Hope someone can get back to me soon. I have emailed the government department on this but have not heard back and even after reading all of the questions and answers I still cannot find the answer I require. Appreciate any help. Thank you

3. Re: ESTA US Visa Waiver Requirements from Austtralia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 07:15