We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me in my trip to nyc!

Rogers, Arkansas
8 posts
Save Topic
Help me in my trip to nyc!

Hello i need help in planning my vaction to new york, so ill be staying in a hotel in jamaica ny. My question is should i rent car? I know i wont need one for manhattan, but i was planning to go to carlos bakery and coney island. Should i rent a car or is there tranportation that will take me?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,967 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me in my trip to nyc!

Is your hotel near the subway?

Dunedin, New Zealand
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me in my trip to nyc!

Cars are good for day trips out of the city and give you the freedom to do what ever you want. It depends on what you are planning to do though, if most/all of your trip is in the city then I would recommend using the subway

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me in my trip to nyc!

Don't rent a car. Save the money and pick a more convenient location to stay...

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,798 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me in my trip to nyc!

Jamaica is not a good location to stay in for visiting New York City. If you don't want to pay Manhattan prices, look at hotels in Long Island City, a Queens neighborhood which is right across the East River from midtown Manhattan. You would take the subway to Coney Island and the subway and then a PATH train to Carlos Bakery in Hoboken.

You don't say how many days you'll be in NYC, but if it's more than just a couple most people find the weekly unlimited Metrocard ($31 per person) is a very good deal.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 01:54
Rogers, Arkansas
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me in my trip to nyc!

Thank you for the advise every one! Im so glad i didnt book my hotel then, in jamaica.. Ill look into those other places. Is there any places i should visit? Recomandations? Thank you in advance!

Edited: 12 January 2014, 08:01
Rogers, Arkansas
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me in my trip to nyc!

Thank you for the advise every one! Im so glad i didnt book my hotel then, in jamaica.. Ill look into those other places. Is there any places i should visit? Recomandations? Thank you in advance! Oh ill be staying friday-monday

Edited: 12 January 2014, 08:03
7. Re: Help me in my trip to nyc!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:18