We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollars vs pounds in New York help

Midlands uk
4 posts
Save Topic
Dollars vs pounds in New York help

I'm travelling to New York in July. First time to the states, I've heard a lot of my friends say to take my British pounds to New York and change them when in the city as I would get a better exchange rate than changing them here in the uk.

But my friends haven't been to NY they only did this in Spain for example.

I just don't want to be stuck in New York with a bad exchange rate wishing I'd change them here.

Anyone have any advice about this?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,136 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollars vs pounds in New York help

Well for starters, I would never Travel with a lot of cash, but I understand that banking is different in Great Brittain than here, and many British visitors prefer cash over a cash card or credit card or debit card.

If you plan to travel with cash, find the exchange places and compare the exchange rates. Here is one place in Manhattan that posts their rates. I have no personal experience with them.

http://www.choicemoney.us/

Right now they will give you almost $1.51 per pound

Edited: 11 May 2014, 21:06
Midlands uk
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollars vs pounds in New York help

At that rate it does work out better to sort it at home. Some card some cash.

Yeah us Brits do like cash.

First time out of the country so great to clear some things up. Thanks for the help anyway!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,751 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollars vs pounds in New York help

How are you planning to pay for your hotel? Most American hotels routinely swipe your credit card (even if the stay is pre-paid) and put a "hold" on an amount against the possibility of extra charges. This isn't actually charged to your account and is cancelled soon after you check out. It does cause problems when people use debit cards or cash cards for this purpose, since that's money you don't have access to during your stay.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,403 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollars vs pounds in New York help

Assuming you are traveling to New York City, you'll have more readers and responses on that forum (including lots of Brits). This is the general forum for all of New York State.

Some countries with unstable currencies may provide a better exchange rate for a more "stable" currency. That's not the case in the U.S. But ask on the NYC forum about whether any Brits have found better exchange rates in NYC vs the U.K.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,831 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollars vs pounds in New York help

Coming from the UK, you have access to cards that are of much better value than most western countries. Normally any variations on Cash Passport or preloaded cards aren't recommended, but there are exceptions.

Halifax Clarity card, and CaxtonFX are both very well recommended, with the former having no foreign transaction fees, no loading fees, no ATM fees, and they convert at an intra-bank rate minus 2% (or there abouts). You will not beat that sort of exchange buying/selling cash retail.

It's seriously worth considering, because by the time you convert a 'reasonable' amount, the fees etc could be as much as the equivalent to one night free accommodation.

Not to mention safer also

Edited: 12 May 2014, 01:10
Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,831 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollars vs pounds in New York help

Sorry, too much of a rush.

Halifax Clarity of course being a credit card, and CaxtonFX being a preloaded card.

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Midlands uk
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollars vs pounds in New York help

I'm staying with friends sorry should of mentioned that.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 07:06
Midlands uk
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollars vs pounds in New York help

Thanks for the tip about the other forum, I'll give that one a shot. Was just trying to get a broad idea of what people do/did so that might be the best place to post :)

9. Re: Dollars vs pounds in New York help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:16