We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible to work in the city but live outside the city?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Possible to work in the city but live outside the city?

I'm interested in getting an editorial internship but they're all in big cities like New York and I love living in a more rural area. Is it possible to have a job in New York City but live outside the city? What are the surrounding areas like? The commute isn't really a big issue to me-- I live towards the more rural end of town and am used to driving 45min to get to my school down town.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible to work in the city but live outside the city?

Definitely.

Many people commute from upstate NY, Long island, NJ, CT and as far away as PA to work in NYC.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 23:12
Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible to work in the city but live outside the city?

You would have to go a lot further than 45 minutes to find a rural experience outside NYC. Many, if not most of the, people who work in the city, but live outside of it, rely on public transportation to get to work each day. Driving into the city each day is very expensive and time consuming--and then you have to find parking--which is ALSO very expensive.

For example, I live about 45 minutes outside the city (without traffic or via public transportation) in a village of about three square miles--but our village has about 45,000 people in a tightly packed community.

I know there are other cities in the US that will offer you that kind of experience, but NY isn't one of them.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,240 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible to work in the city but live outside the city?

Also be aware that commuting from a distance sufficient to put you in a "rural" area will be quite expensive by public transportation as well.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible to work in the city but live outside the city?

I live in Pennsylvania, nor far from the New Jersey border. Many people in this area commute to New York by bus. The local bus company is Martz Trailways www.martztrailways.com

A weekly commuter ticket from Delaware Water Gap Pa to Manhattan is $152.50 (Parking is an extra $10 a week)

Its about an hour and a half each way.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 23:53
staten island
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible to work in the city but live outside the city?

Come to Staten Island. You'll have a long commute, but it will be regular city prices for transportation, or for a bit more you can take an express bus.

6. Re: Possible to work in the city but live outside the city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 05:15