We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in restaurants

london
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in restaurants

Let me say right at the start that I have no problem with tipping for good service and probably err on the generous side. However, it seems to me that things are getting a bit out of hand in New York. To start with a local sales tax, 10% ?, is added to the bill - could this not be included as VAT has to be in the U.K.? But then many restaurants we visited show "suggested gratuity levels" of between 18% and 22%. All this makes what starts out as being a reasonably priced meal quite an expensive one.

Do the staff actually see these gratuities? Or are the owners using tips to make up the basic pay of their staff? Will we soon be paying extra for the chef to cook the meal?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,826 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in restaurants

Restaurant policies may vary, but I believe that waitstaff do get the tips.

We generally tip 15-20% on the pre-tax amount of the bill.

DC
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in restaurants

Ask around. Many of your countrymen (including, perhaps, yourself) are flying across an ocean to go shopping, even with sales tax added. Restaurant meals are reasonably priced by your standards, which I suppose means compared to London, where taxes and service charges are not so obvious.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in restaurants

NYC really isn't getting out of hand.

-10% is incorrect.

-It isn't included as VAT as it is in the UK as the US and the UK are different countries/etc with different tax structures.

-Yes, the staff sees the gratuities.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,970 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in restaurants

"Do the staff actually see these gratuities? Or are the owners using tips to make up the basic pay of their staff?"

It's both. Tips ARE the basic pay of wait staff. They essentially ONLY get paid tips. Wait staff are exempt from normal minimum wage laws, and most are paid basically nothing. So yes, they definitely see the tips. It's what they pay their bills with.

The sales tax is under 9%. Why do you care if it's VAT or sales tax? You pay it either way. If you think food is too expensive ehrn you add in the tax and tip, don't eat in restaurants. But 18-22% is the going rate for average service in restaurants. That's what you should be paying.

5. Re: Tipping in restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 06:15