We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in new york then 2 weeks holiday - what to do?

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding in new york then 2 weeks holiday - what to do?

Hi All,

We are attending a wedding in new york on a sunday in october. We have two weeks holiday, flying out of england the saturday before and returning the saturday after (so we have one week before the wedding and one week after).

We havent booked any flights yet so we could do a stopover?

We have a baby who will be 9 months old.

i dont really know anything about America so I need suggestions as to what we could do with our holiday.....!

Also whats the best way to get a decent price on flights? book early?

Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,056 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,324 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding in new york then 2 weeks holiday - what to do?

When in October? What are your interests?

Are you interested in renting a car and traveling around beautiful landscapes, exploring interesting towns? Exploring cities without a car? Warm weather? Cool weather? Is budget a factor? Are you into food? art? history? music? beaches?

Some areas of the U.S. have expensive lodging that time of year because it's peak season (which varies by region). Is budget a factor?

Are you sure you want to have a 2 week trip with an infant?

Edited: 05 June 2014, 14:52
Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding in new york then 2 weeks holiday - what to do?

Yes the baby has to come with us, we cant just leave her behind!!

We are a bit limited in that we wont be able to drive for long periods at a time with a child - but then i dont want to spend days driving anyway!

We like nature and the outdoors. We dont really like cities - we will be going to new york so that will fill our city quota for the holiday! we like scenery and food and hiking, biking and horse riding. The places that I could name off the top of my head are places like the grand canyon and yellowstone.... but it seems they are nowhere near new york!

We were wondering about flying into somewhere else then flying to new york on saturday then after the wedding maybe getting a cottage for the week then flying back home from new york the following saturday?

But i dont know if there are nice places to stay within driving distance of new york?

Perhaps hiring a motorhome would be a nice idea? but then i dont know if you have to stay on a campsite in america and if so are there many?

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding in new york then 2 weeks holiday - what to do?

any suggestions?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,324 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding in new york then 2 weeks holiday - what to do?

I wasn't suggesting that you leave her behind :-) I was suggesting that you might want to take a shorter holiday.

Your request is just so general, it's hard to know where to begin. There are many nice areas within driving distance of NYC. It's also easy to fly from NYC to some other destination, so you have loads of options.

You haven't mentioned when in October, and whether you are ok with chilly weather or want warmer weather.

Also, it really does matter if you have budget constraints. If you don't have budget constraints, and don't care if weather is potentially cold, you could do a New England road trip and see some autumn foliage. Again, whether this is feasible will depend on when in October. By the end of the month, much of the foliage is gone in the region.

Staying at a beach cottage on Cape Cod might be a good option. It would need to be a winterized cottage as temps could get to cold for an unheated summer cottage. It would be off season, but not completely dead. Lots of beautiful scenery, bike riding. I don't know about horseback riding, but probably.

How do you go horseback riding with a baby?

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding in new york then 2 weeks holiday - what to do?

how to go horse riding with a baby - leave her with your husband!!

we will be arriving in the US sunday 5th october and leaving saturday 18th at the latest, we have to be in New york sunday 12 for a wedding.

We are not really city people so we do not want to spend the entire time in new york, maybe 3 or 4 days at the most.

temperatures are not really an issue, we are not looking for a beach holiday - although warmer would be nicer than cold!

6. Re: Wedding in new york then 2 weeks holiday - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 05:15