We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First night in NY, what to do?

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First night in NY, what to do?

Hi

My partner and I are visiting New York in December. We arrived on the 3rd of December, and by the time we arrive at our hotel and settle in it's going to be around 4.30-5 o'clock .

I am just wondering what things people would suggest we do on the first evening we are there from 5 ish onwards? As it's a big city which neither of us have ever been to before, we don't want to throw ourselves in at the deep end . I am aware that the Rockefeller Christmas Tree lighting is that night (3rd Dec) so i imagine it will be extremely busy in and around that area, which we would probably rather avoid and we'll go visit the tree the following evening perhaps.

We are staying at The Roosevelt Hotel, so i thought Grand Central Terminal would be a safe bet for something to do on the first night as it's really close.

Can anyone recommend anywhere else on the first night that isn't too far from the hotel? I was hoping to go to Central Park and do a carriage ride too on the first night as i thought Central Park might be fairly quiet with the tree lighting being on but am unsure if the journey between our hotel and Central Park will be affected by Rockefeller?

Many thanks in advance,

Julia

jacksonville
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First night in NY, what to do?

I would go out to dinner somewhere in the meatpacking district than hit up Timesquare afterwards for a night stroll.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First night in NY, what to do?

How long will you be here?

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First night in NY, what to do?

Hi. Thanks for the replies. Times Square is on our 'to do' list so that would be a good idea to do it on the night as i imagine that's the best time to see Times Square if you're a tourist. I will look up meatpacking district for ideas for dinner.

We will be there from Wednesday 3rd December to the Saturday 6th December. So we have 3 nights there, but have to be back at JFK on the Saturday for our flight at 5.50pm (not sure what time we would be best leaving the city sights to get back to hotel) .

Thanks,

Julia

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First night in NY, what to do?

This is the general forum for all of New York State. You'll have more readers and responses on the New York City forum. You may want to post additional questions there.

jacksonville
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First night in NY, what to do?

I don't know if you are a big 'Sex in The City' fan as I am, but there is a great restaurant called "Buddakan" where they filmed Carrie's engagement dinner. The food is amazing and decor is stunning.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,901 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First night in NY, what to do?

Both the Empire State Building and Top of the Rock are open late.

Nothing says "OMG we're in New York" like one of those views.

http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/

http://www.esbnyc.com/

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First night in NY, what to do?

**I don't know if you are a big 'Sex in The City' fan as I am,**

I always laugh when I see this. It's Sex And The City.

8. Re: First night in NY, what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 14:09
9. Re: First night in NY, what to do?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 14:09
10. Re: First night in NY, what to do?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 07:15