We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Ideas for Family Vacation- Please Help!

Near Central...
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need Ideas for Family Vacation- Please Help!

My husband and I have a baby boy, a 17 year old daughter (not fond of the beach), a 13 year old daughter, and an 11 year old daughter.... we want to go on a family vacation this summer and for the life of us can't decide where to go or what to do!!!??? Can anyone make a recommendation of something we can do for about 4 days give or take? On a weekend, probably.

My oldest doesn't care that much about swimming or beaches and we always take the beach route....so we thought we'd do something different. I thought about maybe the ZOO at Asheboro, but what else is there to do there?

Husband says, "NO THEME PARKS!" So, Carowinds is out. He would go to a water park, though.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Ideas for Family Vacation- Please Help!

We went to the Asheboro Zoo back in November. While we really did enjoy the zoo my first thought was "I would not want to come back here during the summer".. There is alot of walking (this zoo is really spread out) and I can't even imagine what it would be like with the heat and humidty. Also while Asheboro does make a nice overnight trip there is not much else to do there for 4 whole days.

Have you thought about going up to the mountains? We rented a cabin last summer for a week up in the moutains (through www.vrbo.com). We all enjoyed our time there and actually did not finish all the things we had set out to do.

Linville Caverns

Grandfather Mountain

Blue Ridge Pkwy

Blowing Rock

Tweetsie Railroad

Gem Mines

Fishing

Good Luck!

Michigan
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Ideas for Family Vacation- Please Help!

I second the mountains and renting a cabin through vrbo.com.

Near Central...
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Ideas for Family Vacation- Please Help!

I know it sounds crazy, because I live in this state... but, honestly, there isn't much we haven't already done! We live near the beach so nowhere there we can venture to. We have relatives in the mtns., visiting them each year or two pretty much took care of the western side of the state. We haven't gone to the Outer Banks yet. I looked into that and thought it to be a good possibility. We haven't been to the Asheboro Zoo either, so that is why I considered that. Maybe we should just stick with the Outer Banks idea? I'd love to go somewhere in VA or maybe even SC, but not too far away, cause to fit all of us in one vehicle it will require we use the "old car." Don't want to get stranded anywhere! LOL

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Ideas for Family Vacation- Please Help!

How about Charleston, SC? Arre you near I-95? You could zip on down there and there's much to do - the Aquarium, the battleship, harbor tours and Fort Sumter, historic area, plantations, beaches if you want them, the market, etc....

Beaufort, North...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Ideas for Family Vacation- Please Help!

How about pigeon forge gatlinburg area has lots to do without going to dollywood.I just came back from there.Lots of shopping sight seeing smokey mtn national park.arcades shows and much more

Near Central...
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Ideas for Family Vacation- Please Help!

Thanks for the ideas! I think we may go with the Outer Banks from what it sounds like. Close enough to take the "old car" safely and somewhere we haven't been before.

BTW, I used to live in Charleston. Went to Dollywood a few years ago myself. I enjoyed it. Never been to Gatlinburg or anything. Did I mention I avoid shopping at ALL costs? LOL

Again, many thanks.

7. Re: Need Ideas for Family Vacation- Please Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 13:18