We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilson, NC

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Wilson, NC

Recently we spent one night at a wonderful B & B in Wilson, NC. on our way to Charleston. We enjoyed it so much, we would like to plan a longer stay with some friends.

My problem is that aside from the Whitehead Inn, I don't know what else we would do in this area. Since we live in NJ, we would want to stay in the area at least 4 nights, maybe 5 to justify the drive.

Can anyone give me some suggestions? We don't mind driving a bit, say within 1 hour to take a day trip. Also, this trip could take place any time and probably not until next year.

Thanks for any info.

Linda

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Wilson, NC

Aside from going to Raleigh for the day... or perhaps down to Little Washington ( lovely water front). There's nothing to do in Wilson. It's an agricultural town.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wilson, NC

Well - to be fair, here's a link to 50 things to do in Wilson - but honestly, I've been there quite a few times and I can't for the life of me see how anyone would want to spend a vacation there when there are so many wonderful places in NC. There are good people in the area, but it's NOT a vacation spot. here's the link: http://www.wilson-nc.com/50things.cfm

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wilson, NC

Of course, you are right. However, this vacation would be about the people I would be with more than the place. But, that said, we would want to do SOMETHING. I did see that information, can't say anything jumped out at me. Thanks for the response. In the end, we will probably opt for the Outer Banks. But the place was so cute and wonderfully suited to four or five couples wanting to hang out.

NC
Level Contributor
480 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wilson, NC

I agree with Bud on this one...there's nothing to do there..however, the best BBQ in NC resides in Wilson. You MUST go to Parkers and eat family style. Bill's is pretty solid as well.

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
493 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wilson, NC

I lived in Wilson for 5 years (it was my college town), and for the most part there aren't really any "activities" but there are still plenty of restaurants and sites to see in the area. It has been over 7 years since I lived there and I hear it is ever changing, but here are my little tid bits.

Food...if it's not during college term definitely try O'Cools (http://www.shoppingbrentwood.com/ocools.cfm) in the Brentwood Shopping Center. The reason why I say try going when school is not in session is that it was and surely still is a big hang out for the college kids. If the weather is nice the outdoor patio is nice place to catch one of their tasty salads or sandwiches. (oh and just FYI they're closed on Sundays). And speaking of tasty sandwhiches I don't think you should ever miss going to the Inner Banks Market on Ward Blvd (http://www.gofindbiz.com/Menus/innerbanks.htm). I miss that place more than I would like to admit. My favorite was either the Chuck's Choice or the Blue Moon. Mmmm. As mentioned above Wilson does have great BBQ too. Personally I like Bills BBQ on Downing Street (instead of Parkers). When Hurricane Floyd came through Wilson back when I was in school Bills was nearly distroyed, but they rebuilt their dining room. It can get really crowded and it's very casual but if you want real north carolina bbq this is the place! Beware if you don't want to see a real pig pickin' don't go through the end of the buffet. My mom was really shocked the first time we went! Another great place is D*ck's on Nash Street. It's a real local place with some of the best hot dogs I've ever had. It's small and can get pretty busy too but sure worth the wait! If your looking for something a little more upscale I would suggest either Griff's Steak Barn on 301 or Rocky's on W Nash Street. For seafood you would have to try Silver Lake Seafood on 58N. They have a great atmosphere and wonderful views. If you're looking for chains they also have Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, Cracker Barrell, Chili's and Texas Steakhouse.

As for things to do...depending on what you like I can suggest seeing the rose garden right by the City of Wilson building, check out a play at the Boykin Center downtown or for that matter a play on Barton's campus too (they have one in the fall & one in the spring), play frisbee golf at Toinot Park or really golf at one of Wilson's 3 golf courses, check out a baseball game at Fleming Stadium, or take a day trip north to Rocky Mount (about 30 minutes on 301). They've got great shopping and a 12 screen stadium seating movie theater. Or travel south about 30 minutes on I-95 to Smithfield to one of the best outdoor outlet malls I've ever been to(http://www.ncnet.com/fsa-smit.html). And if you want a little bit of everything Raleigh is only about an hour away east on 264. Also about an hour in the other direction on 264 is Greenville, home of East Carolina University. If it's during the school year they have great college football games!

As anyone who reads this forum often they know I am a big supporter of the Outer Banks and can't think of anywhere I would rather be, but if you enjoyed Wilson I think that's great! I think Wilson could be so much better if more people took interest in it. I loved Barton and my time in Wilson and maybe this will give you a few ideas if you do plan on visiting there again. Oh and I was about to suggest Miss Betty's B & B but I just realized they changed the name to the Whitehead Inn! I used to live 2 houses down on Whitehead Street in a house split into apartments. Nash Street is a really great area to walk!

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
493 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wilson, NC

I should proof read my posts better....Raleigh is actually about an hour WEST on 264...sorry!

7. Re: Wilson, NC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2007, 17:22
Goldsboro. NC
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wilson, NC

More from PTG. After reading other replys. Goldsboro has many golf courses ( City public course is good) Atlantic Beach is 1 1/2 hour away. We go for the day and return to Goldboro for dinner. Shopping 1/2 hour away at HUGE outlet mall (Smithfield). You can find a lot to do in Goldsboro, from civil war trails. winery tastings, historic neighborhoods, beer at Flying Shamrock Irish Pub, Karaoke at Terero's Mexican Restaurant, or just sit on the B&B porch, drink local wine, listen to Indian stories and local history told by American Indian artist, Dreamweaver.

If you can't find anything to do in Wilson,get on Hwy 117 S. Bypass 1/2 hour later you can find plenty or the quiet of southern hospitality

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wilson, NC

You could always take a day trip from Wilson to New Bern and tour the Tryon Palace and Gardens. I would think that would be a fun multi-couple excursion!

Raleigh has many great museums and lots to see and do.

I had no idea that Wilson had a nice B&B. Thanks for the tip!

wilson, nc
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Wilson, NC

I am fairly new to Wilson, been here about a year. We are a homeschooling family and enjoy getting out and experiencing different things too. I would suggest visiting the Neuse Park in Goldsboro. It only about 20 minutes away and is a great experience. You can visit there website at http://www.neuseway park.com call them for directions as the ones listed are not accurate. Greenville is also only about 30 minutes away and there are a lot of things to do there. Fayetteville is about an hour away and we like Jamba's Ranch there. It is a large 20+ acre animal park. You can drive through or walk it. We enjoy walking it and stopping at Fort Rest for a snack break. Its a great experience. Fort Bragg is also in Fayetteville and they have riding stables that are very nice. Rocky Mount is about 35 minutes away and you could check out some things there and Raleigh is about 35-40 minutes away and has many things to do there. If I can help with anything else you can email me anytime armysecretpal@yahoo.com I hope this helps.