We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outer Banks

Pennsylvania
10 posts
Save Topic
Outer Banks

My family and I are renting a house on the 4x4 beaches around the middle/end of may this year and I have a few questions for the experienced.

What is the weather like that time of year and is it swimmable. Also, I am already renting a suburban and want to make sure it is capable of getting around in that area. And, I dont need to take any type of ferry am I correct?

Any help, advice, or tips from anyone familiar or experienced with that area would help. Thanks a bunch.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Outer Banks

Weather that time of year can be either way. I have seen May be beautiful, and then seen chilly weather also. My best advice would be to watch the Weather Channel, and check online before packing/leaving.

As far as swimming, it will be way too early for ocean swimming without a wetsuit.

A Suburban should be fine. If you have never driven in the sand, it is tricky. Be sure to let the air out of your tires, and go down to about 18lbs-sounds really low, but it's needed. I see you are from PA, and assume you've driven in snow! There are some similarities: don't make drastic moves, keep constant steady speed, stay in established trackes, etc. All the obvious are the same but there are the crucial differences: Remember your tides-check the high tide times-you do not want to get stuck. Throw a small shovel in the Suburban-it can be your best friend in soft sand. Remember where you are/need to get to-I know this seems strange, but all the dunes can "look alike" make reference points/landmarks. Also a word of caution to driving at night-it can be really tricky-be really careful if driving at night.

No ferry is needed.

It is a truly beautiful area up there, and I am sure you will love it. The Harris Teeter grocery store in Corolla is very nice, and a great place to stock up. If you post again and say what everyone likes to do people here can help you with other tips, too.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outer Banks

I like the previous posters good instructions.

There used to be Suburban tours up that way.

The night, as the previous poster said....watch the night. It's pitch dark. Especially that time of year when not many homes are occupied to give you any light and provide any landmarks.

Weston, Fl
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outer Banks

I am considering the same area for a house rental this summer 2009. I wondered how you liked it there and if you have any advice regarding the driving??

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outer Banks

When driving at night, we always bring along a high powered light to help with navigation, this has been particularly helpful in avoiding those cypress stumps in the sand!

5. Re: Outer Banks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 16:18