We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf or Sound Realty

Pennsylvania
10 posts
Save Topic
Surf or Sound Realty

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with surf or sound realty. I have read some past reviews that were horrible and was wondering if anyone has recently booked a rental home through them and their experience with it.

Thanx a bunch.

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf or Sound Realty

Read through the threads on the Outer Banks forum.

Nova
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf or Sound Realty

I rented a house last week from surf or sound. we have used them in the past and never had a problem in the past. We have small children and have never rented a house situated directly on highway 12. we renting this house the location description was nestled between a Ct and the road, well the driveway was directly on Hwy 12. The mood for the rest of the week, but our AC broke and when the customer service agent was to send inteh work order they assumed somebody did it, so we sat all week without Ac even though we repeatedly went in and complained. To our surprise after I got home on Sat. and sent an email to them they returned my call and thoroughly apologized, took all blame for the dropping the ball and giving us a refund onpart of our vacation. I would definitly rent through them again, especially after there quick response to insure I was addressed and heard.

Charlotte
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Surf or Sound Realty

Horrible experience with Surf or Sound Realty in late October 2008. In fact, I just filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau for their failure to correct a problem with a heated pool and then failing to refund our money. I would not refer anyone to this rental company. We've rented many beach houses before with other companies and never experienced isues like this. read below for details if you wish.

My husband and I rented a beach house from Surf or Sound Realty for the week of October 19th through October 26th. There was an offer of a heated pool for which we paid an additional $400 plus taxes and fees. When we checked in, we were told that the pool would not be warm enough unless it stayed above 50+ degrees. We were not told this when reserving the pool or would not have paid and included that in the contract. The first couple days, the pool water was very cold. We though perhaps it was the weather despite having a 70+ degree day. On Wednesday, we stuck our toes in the ocean water and found that it was significantly warmer than the pool water. I called about the pool heater not working. The office staff was rude and accused me of lying and said I could not have money refunded regardless of the situation. I asked to have the amount pro-rated so I wouldn't be charged for the last few days. She said that I would be charged a $75 dollar fee to have the heat turned off (which wasn't working anyway). A pool tech was supposed to be sent out Thursday. We never heard back. I called again Friday. My husband went by the office on Friday evening and was upset at the response of the office staff/management. They were not going to refund any money. Saturday morning a pool tech came by (that worked for another firm hired to service Surf or Sounds' pools and hot tubs at rental properties). She told us that the heat was not working in the pool and that it was reported as not working the Saturday before we arrived. It was never operational at any point during the week yet we were still charged for heating the pool. My husband, went to the office stating what the technician had just stated. He was told that without a written report, no money would be refunded. Apparently a pool tech had dropped by the house on Wednesday and also reported the heat wasn't working. My husband pleaded with them to please call the pool company's supervisor. They refused. My husband came back and talked to the pool tech again. At this point, the pool was drained a full 24 hours before we had to be out of the house (as well as the hot tub). Management had not told us that the pool and hot tub would only be available through Saturday morning. My husband confirmed again with the pool technician that the pool heat had not been working the saturday prior to our rental/arrival (Sat. Oct, 18, Wed. Oct 22nd and then again on Sat, Oct 25th). My husband went back to the rental office (in Salvo) and finally got agreement for at least a $300 refund until the full report would come in. When he came back and checked the credit card to see if we received a refund, we had not. He went back to the office and was told that they have to okay the refund with the homeowner of the rental and we would receive a check. We never received an update on the written report, were treated horribly, accused of lying and still have not received our refund a full 3 weeks later.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surf or Sound Realty

Surf or Sound is HORRIBLE. They have NO Customer Service. They will take your money and not service their homes. Don't rely on the photos of the homes on the Surf or Sound website because they don't match the homes.

brig
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Surf or Sound Realty

Just finished vacation stay @Playhouse Too #338The house was dirty and over used. House Cleaning staff was asleep on the couch @ 5:30 Pm the day of our arrival so expect late check in.

Be careful they have been slamming my CC for items no caused by us. If your looking to rent a dirty over used house and surrender your credit card to unscrupulous, frivolous charges this is the place for you. Otherwise avoid Surf or Sound Reality at all cost. Staff will rock you false damgae fees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harrisburg, PA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Surf or Sound Realty

I,ve used Surf or Sound for years and never had any problem with the homes or staff.

Whitehall,PA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Surf or Sound Realty

I rented a home through Surf and Sound Realty in June of 2009. We did have a problem with the smoke detectors going off , all nine of them on all three floors, for no reason. It was quite loud to the point of madness. I called the office and someone was at my door in 20 min to solve the problem. Check in was quick and the office was well staffed. I would book again with the same realty company. It was a sound decision. Sorry about that bad pun. Just couldn't help it.

DaveThe Dude

St. Charles, IL
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Surf or Sound Realty

Thanks for all the reviews people, I was about to book something through them and was kind of leery about them to begin with because of the fees and other things like holding on to sec. dep. for 45 days after checkout. I have since decided not to because of all the bad reviews I've seen on this and other forums and review websites. The negatives for this co. sure seem to outweigh the positives.

Thanks

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surf or Sound Realty

I just read your review and find it hard to believe that cleaning staff was asleep in cottage when you arrived. Having rented cottages for 18 years in the Outer Banks, keys are not released from the Rental Agency until they have received word from the cleaning staff that the cottage is available.

Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Surf or Sound Realty

We rented from Surf or Sound last year and the house was above and beyond what we expected from just looking at the pictures online. It was beautiful and the staff when we arrived were wonderful. We had one small issue with the telephone that wasn't resolved for a few days, but these days, we all have cell phones :-) so it wasn't much of an issue. We loved the house "The Sea Pearl" and are renting from them again this year and staying in "Island's End." I guess there are going to be times where cutomers have issues, but as far as our experience with them...I would highly recommend them to anyone :-)