We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me pick a beach to stay at this summer

Secaucus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me pick a beach to stay at this summer

We booked Carolina beach but are now going to cancel bec of all the negative reviews. We are too nervous about it.

Wrightsville Beach is very expensive.

Can anyone recommend somewhere in NC to go that is near a TON of antique malls and the beach?

Any help appreciated! :

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me pick a beach to stay at this summer

Like I posted about Carolina Beach,--We love Ocean Isle Beach, but I am not sure about antique malls. I have also been to Atlantic Beach which is in the middle of the state, and it is very nice. Go to Atlantic Beach trip advisor and check out reviews and pictures. There are alot of condos and some hotels. Good Luck---but when you do visit, be sure to drive to Carolina Beach and see for yourself the condition of the town, maybe it has changed in the past year???

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me pick a beach to stay at this summer

This is your 8th or 9th thread asking the same question.

1. Where did your friend stay?

2. Where are the antique malls? I've lived in NC for 60 years and "tons of antique malls near Wilmington" is news to me.

3. I'm not trying to be mean. If I'm wrong I apologize.

NC
Level Contributor
487 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me pick a beach to stay at this summer

I think I read another of your posts...are you looking to stay at a hotel or are you looking for another option? Kure is just south of Carolina and is nice but a little more expensive. Also Atlantic Beach, Emerald Isle, Topsail areas, Oak Island, Holden Beach....are all nice places that are pretty reasonable. Find a place at any of these beaches that you like and go there. All of these beach areas are really nice and are unique in there own ways. I assure you that you will enjoy any of them.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me pick a beach to stay at this summer

There is a fair amount of antiquing in Swansboro which is across the bridge from Emerald Isle.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me pick a beach to stay at this summer

jewelgal, so sorry you canceled your Carolina Beach reservations. I highly recommend you at least visit it during your NC trip. I think you will find it not as bad as some posters claim.

Probably your best chance of finding "antique malls" is to go inland a bit....just driving around you may stumble upon some antique shops here and there. Maybe not the huge malls that you are hoping for....but some nice "mom and pop' antique stores.

I think there are some in Fayetteville, NC, which you may be passing thru on your way to a beach. (its not on the ocean, more inland)Might be a mall or two there.

Good luck..I hope you find what you are looking for.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me pick a beach to stay at this summer

Jewelgal,

I think that you are worrying to much about antique malls and not enough about the beach. The NC Beaches (any and all of them from Sunset Beach in the South to Corolla on the OBX) are all very well maintained, all have a very large area of white pristine sand, rolling waves, and great weather. The less visited areas will have better shelling and beachcombing. If you are coming to NC to go to the beach then whatever you pick will be great. I consider myself pretty well versed on NC Beaches and I just made reservations at the same hotel you are speaking of cancelling! It is at a great location, minutes from wilmington, minutes from Fort Fisher Aquarium, minutes from the ferry! Also Wilmington is on the river, not the beach, so you will have to travel by car to get to the beach, and your closest choices will be Wrightsville and Carolina!

Also, what do you mean when you say antique malls??? Wilmington will have plenty of stores and shops that sell old and antique goods. I dont know of anywhere, except for the fair grounds in Raleigh (which is actually just an upscale flea market) that has store after store of antiques, and antiques are different in everyones eye, the saying "one man's junk is another man's treasure" comes to mind. Wilmington is a very old and rich town steeped with history, you will find hidden treasures throughout if you take a simple stroll through the streets. I wouldnt cancel your reservations, you are staying at quite possibly the newest hotel on the beach! The beach there will by marvelous and you wont have to worry about rowdy college kids.

Wrightsville beach is the most popular beach in the Wilmington area. Mainly because it is the first and closest beach to the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. Home to the three largest universities in NC. Students can leave class early on friday and be at the beach in 2 hours. The hotels know this and therefore the prices soar in the summer!

Stick with Carolina Beach and take a few trips into Wilmington, it is a straight and easy drive. If you simply must change, stay in wilmington, look at the Hilton Waterfront, become familiar with the store lined streets and take the car to the beach, there is ample meter parking at wrightsville if you go earlier than 11am, before the college kids awake!

Most of all, stop stressing! You are planning on visiting one of the most beautiful, relaxing and scenic parts of the US! Take a deep breath, stick with your plans, dont let a few negative posts sway your decision because every destination will have negative posts and HAVE A RELAXING AND FUN VACATION!!!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me pick a beach to stay at this summer

Wilmington is great. Last time I was at Carolina Beach, however, we did not enjoy the beach itself. It's very sloped, choppy, and seemed as if there was extremely strong currents all the time, every day. It's been 2 years, so perhaps, they've 'renourished' since.

Secaucus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help me pick a beach to stay at this summer

THanks everybody.

As far as the antique malls go, they are like large stores with different "booths" set up with tons of merchandise (old vintage collectibles), sometimes 150 vendors.

I don't want somewhere where the antique shops are here and there. I myself am going for antiques. My husband is the one who wants the beach. So it's a 50/50 trip.

I hope someone can recommend a few specific antique places. I read about somewher called "IVy Covered COttage." which is 4 buildings.

Has anyone gone there? Thanks again!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help me pick a beach to stay at this summer

We went to Atlantic Beach last summer. It was very nice. There is historic Fort Macon State Park, Beaufort, and Morehead City. Beaufort has beautiful old homes, a Maritime Museum, a cute old style General Store, and antique shops. You will love Beaufort! I believe there is an antiques Marketplace in Beaufort that has items from many different dealers. Morehead City has antique shops as well.

10. Re: Please help me pick a beach to stay at this summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 22:20