We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 Day East Coast Road Trip "Please Help"

Houma, LA
12 posts
Save Topic
18 Day East Coast Road Trip "Please Help"

My wife, two daughters (age 10 and 12), and I are taking a vacation in the late summer of this year. We are leaving south Louisiana heading straight up the U.S to Chicago then heading east toward the coast. We plan on driving down the east coast to Destin, FL then head back home to Houma, LA. We will have 18 days to do this and we are traveling in our own vehicle so we will be staying in hotels along the way. Our initial plans were to have key stops. We decided on Branson, MO then Chicago. From Chicago to Niagara Falls, NY or Canada. From there to New York City to Washington DC. We thought about Colonial Williamsburg. After that maybe Myrtle beach, SC before Destin. If anyone has any thoughts about our vacation or if anyone thinks of a new stop along our trip, please give us your input. Each stop we make we are planning on staying 1-2 days maximum. Please keep this in mind when offering suggestions. If you live in or visited any of these cities and would like to share your opinions on clean places to stay, attractions we may want to see, or restaurants we must eat at, please give us your opinion. We will try to stay away from the amusement parks and visit educational and scenic areas. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

To see where we are planning to go please click on the following link. http://www.ndanet.com/roadtrip.jpg

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 18 Day East Coast Road Trip "Please Help"

WOW I am tired from reading that. That is a lot of driving. Why not drive to Great Smokey Mountain National Park. Stay in Gatlinburg for 4 or 5 days.

Then drive the Blue Ridge Parkway to Shanandoah Nat. Park. Stay there 1 day. Continue on to Washington DC for 2 days. Drive on down to Myrtle Beach Sc for 4 days. Maybe Charleston SC for 2 days then back to La. the kids will love Gatlinburg and Myrtle Beach. Just my 2 cents. Florida is hot in summer.

Houma, LA
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 18 Day East Coast Road Trip "Please Help"

We have been to Gatinburg,TN plenty of times already, we always headed north east on all our past vacations, we have never made this loop before, therefore this will be new area for us to see. Thanks, for your opinion.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 18 Day East Coast Road Trip "Please Help"

check out the Charleston, Hilton Head/Beaufort, and Savannah areas. I find those the most scenic areas.

You could also drive the Outer Banks and stop in Wilmington.

St. Augustine is a great city on the east coast of Florida.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 18 Day East Coast Road Trip "Please Help"

also, skip Myrtle Beach if you want to avoid amusement parks.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 18 Day East Coast Road Trip "Please Help"

Since the Smokies are out, I vote for Wilmington here in NC too. It is a wonderful town, nice beaches and just a great beach town.

If you are a history buff, Warm Springs/Pine Mountain west of Atlanta GA. It isnice, a bit out of the way. Savanaha's historical down town is cool and Tybee Island. The Okeefenokee Swamp is a wild place to explore. I also like the Suwannee River - near White Springs or Live Oak in Florida, a great place to paddle and see the old Florida. St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge and Wakulla SPrings State Park south of Tallahassee is a great worthy side trip as you also drive through the Appalachicola National Forest. These you can hit on the way back to Destin.

Sounds like a great trip... are you sure you guys are not really the Griswalds?

6. Re: 18 Day East Coast Road Trip "Please Help"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 00:16