We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for secluded cabin with lake, falls; 1st time renter

Shenandoah Valley...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for secluded cabin with lake, falls; 1st time renter

Hello! I am planning a family vacation in the Smoky Mountains area. I don't know the area at all (at all) so I don't even know what towns and areas to look in. In fact, I'd rather not have it in or too near a town at all (we're a Western backpacking/wilderness-type extended family with new little kids and trying to see if we can still have a good mountain experience going the luxury route).

So we're looking for a nice cabin in a secluded area (although access to a small town could still be fun sometimes), with a lake and perhaps stream or river (two of us love to flyfish, the rest like to play). A nearby waterfall with swimming would be a major bonus. Anyone know of an area like this?

Details: at least 4 BR+loft, sleeping 10 adults. Early August

Thank you very much in advance!

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for secluded cabin with lake, falls; 1st time renter

Try vrbo.com/North Carolina/Lake Nantahala/Lake Santeelah. This is what you are looking for. Most of the land on these 2 lakes are owned by the federal govt. There is some nice places to stay on both.

There is great flyfishing for trout around both.

There is a small town within a half hour of both.

If you need more info ask.

Shenandoah Valley...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for secluded cabin with lake, falls; 1st time renter

Thank you very much. I tried to find something on these two lakes you suggested but couldn't find anything of the right (large) size. I ended up going with a house near Franklin. It's not on a lake but I think it will be fun.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for secluded cabin with lake, falls; 1st time renter

Franklin is a very nice area. I know those 4 bedroom lake houses can be twice the cost of a non-lake property in the summer. Have fun.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for secluded cabin with lake, falls; 1st time renter

Microbioprof:

I would visit the web sites to the Nantahala National Forest and Great Smoky Mountains National Park. If you are looking for lakes near Franklin Lake Chatooge ( part of the TVA system) is near Franklin on the NC - GA border. Lake Fontana is near Bryson City which is smaller than Franklin, if your kids are old enough to swim, take them tubing at Deep Creek in Bryson City. Deep Creek is in the national park.

You may also want to check out white water rafting either on the Tuckaseegee or Nantahala rivers depending on the age of the kids.

Bring your mountain bikes if you have them and enjoy trail riding. Tsali (saw-lee) recreation area is part of the Nantahala National Forest on Lake Fontana. Some really nice mountain biking there. It is off of NC 28 about 45-55 minutes from Franklin.

The Pisgah National Forest also has some premiere mountain biking as well.

Enjoy your trip to the Smokies....

5. Re: Looking for secluded cabin with lake, falls; 1st time renter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 03:19