We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Ridge Parkway - From North Caolina to the Smokies

Corn Country, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Blue Ridge Parkway - From North Caolina to the Smokies

We are planning on a Christmas vacation to the Smokies and leave next week. We will be driving from the Smokies to Pittsburgh, PA to visit family.

Along the way, I would like to travel as much of the Blue Ridge Parkway as possible from the Smokies to Mt.Airy, NC.

I do understand there are road closures on the Parkway, and I have all the information to get current updates. What I really want to know from anyone that has traveled this area of the Parkway is do you believe this is a good plan for this time of year?

We are a little nervous and love the Blue Ridge Mountains, but we have never been in the winter.

Any thoughts would be really helpful! Thanks!

-John

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway - From North Caolina to the Smokies

John:

I think I posted some info about your question in another forum, but I could be mistaken. is the drive worth it? You bet. I have traveled from GSMNP all the way to Boone and a little past. This summer I road my bike in an event called Hurt Pain and Agony and took in the BRP from the Roaring Gap Area almost to Galax. It is a great road to ride a bike on. I have also ridden my bike on the sections of the Tour De Tuck ride too.

With that said, it is highly likely the crest of the Plott Balsam to the Pisgah will be closed (From GSMNP past Mount Pisgah) which is some of the finest scenery around. As your research said, the BRP is closed from Craggy Gardens to Mount Mitchell due to a landslide.

If it is open from Mountain Mitchell to past Boone it is a nice drive. Too bad your trip is not either in May or the summer or Fall. It is a truly a great American Road.

Enjoy your trip...

Corn Country, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway - From North Caolina to the Smokies

Hi smokybob! Thanks for all the great info. You did post a response on another forum also. I put the posts on a few forums because I wasn't too sure where I'd get a response.

We have driven the BRP from Waynesboro, VA to Fancy Gap, NC a couple summers ago. It was our favorite vacation ever! Since we were going to be in the area and driving to Pittsburgh, we just though we might give the BRP a go in the winter.

We'll be prepared, and we'll drive what we can, but you can sure bet we'll return and drive the whole BRP from start to finish in the next few years. I'd love to do it in the fall, but who wouldn't? LOL!

Thanks again!

-John

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway - From North Caolina to the Smokies

As of today because of the warm weather last week the whole BRP is open except for a 20 mile stretch around Mt. Mitchell.

4. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway - From North Caolina to the Smokies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2009, 21:23