We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freshwater fishing with a cabin

Tampa
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Freshwater fishing with a cabin

My husband, son and I live in Tampa, FL and are planning a trip to N.C. in the middle of August.

We would like a cabin on a lake/stream/river for some fishing. We have checked vrbo, but when you do not know the areas, it is a very had job.

I would also like to be close to a town. Within 30 miles. Any suggestions? Thanks

Also, we might want to try whitewater rafting.

Are there any good companies for that?

Thanks lots.

Annie

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Freshwater fishing with a cabin

On vrbo try Lake Santeelah and Lake Nantahala. Try Nantahala Outdoor Center for a rafting company.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freshwater fishing with a cabin

I would consider Lake James outside of Marion. It is elevated and a very pretty lake. Marion is small but nice and you are about 45 miles from Asheville. I have never fished it but I have heard it is good. There is also good fly fishing in the Toe R. nearby

Tampa
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Freshwater fishing with a cabin

Thanks, I am a little concerned about Lake Nantahala, due to I've heard that there will be repair work done and the water level will be low.

Does anyone know about that. I will try the other lakes mentioned.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Freshwater fishing with a cabin

I know that area well and have heard nothing about a repair on the dam.

Asheville
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Freshwater fishing with a cabin

I just took a great lake fishing trip with Up-Close Outfitters and I caught a lot of Bass! Check out their outfitter service if you get a chance.

Thanks,

Tom

Charleston SC
Level Contributor
50 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Freshwater fishing with a cabin

I have stayed on Lake Jocassee and Lake Keowee both great They are at the foot hills of NC but reside in SC. We are staying this time on Lake Glenville near Cashiers and the Highlands awsome place. Great for fishing, boating and hikeing

7. Re: Freshwater fishing with a cabin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2010, 05:18