We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow in December, mountain cabin

orlando
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Snow in December, mountain cabin

Ok so this is a silly question, but I am having difficulty in my search to find out where there is snow in NC in December, someplace where we would be able to rent a cabin for xmas week. Please don't slam me, I am from Florida where snow is only a myth! Thank you in advance for any suggestions. :)

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow in December, mountain cabin

No slam - it's a legit question. The answer is not clear cut , though. December weather can be unpredictable. It can be cold and snowy or pleasant. Your best bet for seeing snow is at one of the high country ski resorts around Boone/Blowing Rock, Beech Mountain/Banner Elk. If it's cold enough, they will make snow if nature hasn't provided it.

Basically, the farther north in latitude ( and elevation) you go, the better your chances. It's a gamble, but that's your best shot.

Best wishes.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow in December, mountain cabin

Bud41 gave some good info. It would be your best bet to see snow. Not a lot to do in that area in winter if you don't ski.

Another area you may check out is Maggie Valley. It is close enough to Asheville for activities. Real close to the national park and a great chance to see snow there in the upper elevations. Also have a ski hill in Maggie Valley.

I would go with Maggie Valley. Easy drive to Gatlinburg for the Christmas activities going on there.

orlando
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow in December, mountain cabin

Thank you both for your replies, I will start looking into it! :)

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow in December, mountain cabin

You have a fairly good entry to the skiing below from Banner Elk or Boone.

Don't forget to bring warm clothes!

http://www.skisugar.com/conditions/

5. Re: Snow in December, mountain cabin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2010, 06:17