We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Road Map

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
350 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Best Road Map

My husband and I have booked a 3 week driving holiday in North Carolina in October - flying into Charlotte from UK.

Can anyone recommend the best map to buy which will show all roads. I have bought a Rand McNally laminated map of the State which is 10 miles to the inch - is there a larger scale map I could buy?

haggisbasher

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Road Map

Can you find a Michelin map for NC in the UK? I have found that they have the most details on their maps. If not, you can get good maps here in NC at Barnes & Noble book stores. You will probably have to get directions from the car rental agency to their store. Good luck and enjoy NC!

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Road Map

Hi Haggis:

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Road Map

Hi Haggis:

Didn't remember your ID. I hope everything worked out to your satisfaction with your DH's license! I gather it did. Have a great trip!!!

Brownsburg, Indiana
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Road Map

the north carolina dept. of transportation will mail free maps to your home address. i really like the coastel carolina map for any travel near the coast. it is very detailed. there is also a scenic byways map. not sure where you are traveling but they are several other detailed maps on thier website. here is the link.

http://www.ncdot.org/travel/mappubs/

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Road Map

Haggis:

The state of NC will not mail you maps. They would if you were living in Canada, but nowhere else out of the country.

When you arrive in Charlotte, ask if there is a NC kiosk in the terminal. There should be. If so, they will have maps. If there is none, follow my suggestion and go to the nearest Barnes & Noble store where you will find many maps available for sale.

Have a great trip!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
350 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Road Map

Thank you all for your replies and advice. I did realise that I would not be able to get maps posted to UK from USA. Will take what I have and buy one in Charlotte.

Thanks again and looking forward to our trip.

Haggisbasher

7. Re: Best Road Map

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2010, 12:19