We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RoadTrip to North Carolina

Chicago, IL
4 posts
Save Topic
RoadTrip to North Carolina

Hi guys,

Me and a bunch of College buddies are planning a trip to the North Carolina Coastal area. As you can tell about our age we are looking for good hotspots along the coast.

We are planning on staying for a week. Surprisingly, we are not looking to get wasted or drink at all(Shocking right?). We are from the Chicago area so what we are looking for is for beach fun. We already decided that we wanted to go to Wilmington area for a day to check out the Cape Fear river area as well as the Cape Fear Mueseum and also the Carolina and Wrightville beach area.

Any suggestions in terms of stuff to do, places to eat and must see places along the coastal areas or inland? We are willing to drive 2-3 hours if need be. We just wana make sure we get the best of this trip.

Thanks!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: RoadTrip to North Carolina

I don't find your post shocking at all - I find it refreshing! I'm in the western part of the state so I'll let the people from the east post suggestions. Just curious why you chose that area ( it's a great place to visit) - just wondered how you chose that destination. Best wishes.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RoadTrip to North Carolina

I think Wrightsville is the right choice. The historic district in Wilmington is nice and there are a number of college-oriented bars, etc. around UNC-W. Wrightsville is a busy, compact beach with alot going on. I suggest you plan to stay there the entire week. When you get there there are several publications that will tell you what's going on.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RoadTrip to North Carolina

My daughter, soon to be a college junior, is the same way! She likes to "remember" her fun! LOL! I agree with the above post about the Wrightsville/Wilmington area. Also check out Fort Fisher, and the N.C. Aquarium out there. Taking the ferry from Fort Fisher to Southport is neat, and Southport is a cute little historic town with some neat shops, restaurants, etc. There's several historic homes in/around the Wilmington area to tour. The Orton Plantation is outside of Wilmington, but neat to see. Also, exploring the Battleship North Carolina www.battleshipnc.com/visitors/visitors.php in Wilmington might interest you. The Cotton Exchange near the battleship has lots of cute shops, bars, and restaurants in old historic buildings.

If you get really adventurous and don't mind driving, you might want to explore Myrtle Beach, SC for a day or two.(about 2 hour drive south from Wilmington) Talk about a "hotspot"! Broadway At The Beach is a massive complex ,with tons of shopping, all types of entertainment, bars, and great restaurants. http://www.broadwayatthebeach.com/

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RoadTrip to North Carolina

i would highly endourse visiting the provision company in southport nc and harold's country club in yemassee sc for excellent meals.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
762 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RoadTrip to North Carolina

Stay on Wrightsville Beach, preferably in some place where you can walk into "town" at night, either for mex. food and surf films at Tower 7, or a hot dog at the Trolley Stop or frozen custard at Kohls, etc. I would recommend a weekday visit to Jungle Rapids. Pretty darned decent small water park. Downtown Wilmington is fun, great Serpentairium, you can tour sites from Dawson's Creek or the new show that is filmed there. Walk the riverwalk, go on a cruise, or a walking tour, or carraige tour. etc.

For a day trip, as other have said, I recommend going to the aquarium/southport, as others have said. The way our family does it is to set out in the morning and stop in Carolina Beach at Britt's for the BEST HOMEMADE DONUTS ANYWHERE. After this great breakfast, head down the the aquarium, getting to see the new albino alligator. Then leave in time to catch the ferry to Southport (they have times at the aquarium desk). On the ferry, you can go on the back of the ferry and feed the gulls with the bread that you remembered to pack in your car. In Southport, eat at the Provision Company, then wander through town. Go home the inland way.

Chicago, IL
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: RoadTrip to North Carolina

Wow! Thanks for all the info. I have another question for those of you familiar with the Wilmington/wrightsville beach area. One a trip to ft Lauderdale, my uncle was able to rent out a house for the week right by the beach area. This worked well for him because he had a large group. Since we area also planning on coming with a large group, do you know if this would be possible in this area? And if so what would be the price range if you know? Keep it coming with the great ideas, im writing them all down. Thanks!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RoadTrip to North Carolina

If you come all that way you really should stay on the beach. vrbo.com is a good place to start to look for rentals. Price will vary depending on the time of year you plan to travel. Have fun.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RoadTrip to North Carolina

No matter how responsible you are, you will find it difficult renting a house because of your age (assuming your group is under 25).

Chicago, IL
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: RoadTrip to North Carolina

hey guys,

Due to complications, our trip had to be canceled. However we just set this summer as target. We were aiming for the 4th of July week. I know thats peak tourism time and expect to pay a premium. But during that week, what should i expect to pay for a oceanfront rental( 4-6 people)? Other than vrbo.com what are some other good places to find vacation rentals? Any other suggestion and ideas wld be welcomed. Thanks!

10. Re: RoadTrip to North Carolina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 08:17