We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for week trip starting in Asheville

Maine
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions for week trip starting in Asheville

My husband and I will be flying into Charlotte and then staying in Asheville for two nights. After we leave Asheville, our plan is to see as much of North Carolina as possible in a week. Suggestions for both mountain and coastal destinations?

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for week trip starting in Asheville

When and where are you leaving from? The state of North Carolina stretches for quite a few miles. What are your interests? Need a bit from you first.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for week trip starting in Asheville

And when are you planning this?

Maine
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for week trip starting in Asheville

We arrive at Charlotte airport Sept 10 and return home on the 17th. We will spend two nights in Asheville and beyond that, the road is open! We hope to see some beautiful back country roads and also to visit someplace on the coast. I am thinking that anyplace on the coast that requires a ferry ride would take too much time. Would like to avoid super touristy areas. All suggestions welcome!

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions for week trip starting in Asheville

I think you have a marvelous sense of what you want to see in NC......almost like a youngster in a candy store clutching 3 pennies and trying to decide the most you can get for your money.

Let's start with your first stop.......lovely, charming and a good place to begin. However, if you want to include the shore, you are going to spend at least 6 to 7 hours driving to and from Asheville (using Interstates and prime highways) to places like Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach, Southport, Kure Beachc, Beaufort, etc. just to mention a few locations that would not be super-crowded at that time.

At that time of the year, you could spend the rest of your allotted time further west in NC in the most beautiful mountains and small towns with lots of activities. White water rafting on the Nantahala River with the Nantahala Outfitters Company which is extremely highly rated. You can drive through the Nantahala National Forest, the Pisgah National Forest, and even part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. You can visit lovely mountain towns like Dillsboro, Bryson City, Sylva, Waynesville, Hendersonville (noted for its art and antique shops), Franklin, (noted for its gem mining) and Cherokee (noted for its' Indian history). You can even raft on the French River in Asheville. There are many waterfalls in the area also.

I guess you have noticed that I am leaning toward your staying in Western NC because you will spend too much of your valuable time driving to the shore and back. Let me know how this hits you and we'll go from there.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions for week trip starting in Asheville

I agree. You could wind up your western tour in Blowing Rock, another very nice town with excellent galleries, restaurants and activities, which is less than two hours from the Charlotte airport. If you have to visit the coast and want to see some back roads, I suggest you take Highway 25 from Asheville to Greenville, SC taking detours to Tryon and Saluda, and then head straight for Charleston or Myrtle beach area.

Maine
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestions for week trip starting in Asheville

Well, part of the motivation for the coastal part of the trip is to scout out locations for a winter vacation. If we do head that way, we'd probably drive to Wilmington on Saturday, drive around on Sunday and Monday, then head back toward Asheville on some kind of scenic route on Tuesday and Wednesday? Or maybe head over more toward Charlotte as that is where we fly out from. Of course, this may seem like way too much driving and trying to accomplish too many missions in one trip once we actually start! How far is Hendersonville from Asheville? My husband is a fine arts and rare book dealer and it sounds like a place he might enjoy. Thoughts?

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestions for week trip starting in Asheville

About 25/30 miles depending on where you are staying in Asheville. You could do that while you are in Asheville and then drive to the shore and leisurely explore your next year's vacation location. It's a shame you are not sceduled to leave from Raleigh. You could have less driving to do.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestions for week trip starting in Asheville

You could consider the Boone/Blowing Rock. Part of your drive should be via the Blue Ridge Parkway. www.blueridgeparkway.org

I would inquire in Asheville if there are any closings. There has been road repair. Also, if you are visiting during the fall color time, you will need advance reservations.

Visit the Black Mountain area and visit the Appalachian Crafts Center. 2.5 hours away, you will find Blowing Rock and Boone.

Blowing Rock is a quaint, welcoming community filled with charm, various shops, dining and beautiful scenery. You could visit Grandfather Mtn. (www.grandfather.com) Mast General Store, beautiful scenery, Cone Manor Arts Center and many other activities, like hiking, biking and just enjoying the beauty that we have to offer! In our area. Just wonder the streets and visit this beautiful area of North Carolina. Boone is the market town with additional antique, crafts and dining. Also the home of Appalachian State!

Before departing NC, you may be interested in experiencing the Yadkin Valley. This has become the North Carolina WIne country. Many wineries, that offer interesting tours and tastings.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suggestions for week trip starting in Asheville

On your return from the shore (Wilmington area), you can take the southern route using rt.74 all the way to Charlotte. This will take you through the southern portion of NC and through some small and interesting towns. I suggest you get a map of NC or else a Rand McNally atlas.

Should you have any other qurestions, you can send me a PM if you wish or continue to use this forum. Have a safe and fun trip!

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: suggestions for week trip starting in Asheville

I agree with the others. Stay in the mountains for the whole week. You can do the beach on the next vacation.