We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coast road sites?

MA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Coast road sites?

Hi,

My wife and I (recently retired) plan on a road trip in mid Sept from New England down through PA to TN (Chattanooga). We were thinking that it may be fun to drive east to the coast and up through NC, VA and MD.

We are interested in natural beauty, some historic, and like to get the flavor of the area we are visiting. Any advice, guidance or suggestions?

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coast road sites?

Sounds like a great trip! If you have the time, you could leave Chattanooga and go to Cleveland, TN and pick up rt. 40 into NC which becomes rt 74 and follow it through the mountains (good road) and go through the Nantahala National Forest (beautiful scenery) through Murphy, Andrews, Bryson City, Dillsboro, Sylva, Waynesville and into Asheville. In Asheville you get on I 40 and cross the center of NC, getting off I 40 (after Raleigh) onto US 70 to Moorehead City, Beaufort and going on until you get to Cedar Island where you catch the ferry to Ocracoke.

You can then drive all the way up the Outer Banks until you get to Kill Devil Hills and cross to the mainland. Continue up 168 until you get to I 64 and where you then decide to either continue into Maryland or take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge into Delaware.

I don't want to fully draw up this map until you think it might be interesting. I hope you have a map so you can follow my idea. An atlas would be better.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coast road sites?

If it sounds interesting, you'll have to make a reservation on the ferry. I'll get you the website.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coast road sites?

I think that would be an excellent itinerary. The trip from Ashevlle to Morehead City is a good 7 hours but I think it would be better to try to get all the wayto Beaufort and spend a day or two there before catching the ferry. It is a very nice historic village and a major stop for sailboats and yachts heading south for the winter.

MA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coast road sites?

Thank you...one other question that perhaps you may know the answer to: is there much to see on the Maryland Peninsula?

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coast road sites?

To be very honest, I would suggest that you post your inquiry concerning the Maryland Peninsula on the Maryland Board. They will have more detailed information than we would.

If you are seriously considering the West - East transit of NC, please let us know and we can fill you in on Sights, history, etc. along the routes we suggested.

6. Re: Coast road sites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2010, 05:17