We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

“ Looking for a place to get out of the snow in the Northeas

Pittsford
Level Contributor
27 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
“ Looking for a place to get out of the snow in the Northeas

Hi...We're a family of four, mom, dad and two daughters (21 & 17). Daughter who is a senior in college will be home for a couple of weeks from Christmas to middle of January. We would like to go somewhere (driving) for a week to be together (rare now a days).We will be leaving from Rochester, NY. All I can think of is Myrtle Beach where we have gone to several times over the years. Just want to get out of the snow and be together where there might be something interesting to see and do. I guess heading south is our only option since we'll be driving. I know this limits us as flying is out (that's another issue) and we'd like to get there in one days driving time. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Report inappropriate content

Mentioned in this post
Rochester
Rochester
Finger Lakes, NY
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: “ Looking for a place to get out of the snow in the Northeas

It would take you a bit over 12 hours to drive from Rochester to Cape Hatteras (plus food and pit stops). I suppose you can drive that. However, I can't predict the weather on the shore at that time of the year. Could be mild, could be cold with good winds to make it colder. But, it's an idea! Good luck and drive safely!

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: “ Looking for a place to get out of the snow in the Northeas

I would visit the Asheville NC area. Lots to do in the mountains. You could visit the GSMNP. Vist the Biltmore. Lots of hiking and waterfalls to visit in the area. Great downtown shopping for the ladies.

I would rent a cabin with a fireplace and hot tub. Get one with a mountain view. Great family time can be spent in a cabin. Try vrbo.com/North Carolina/Asheville.

Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: “ Looking for a place to get out of the snow in the Northeas

If you're willing to drive as far as Myrtle Beach, I'd suggest investing a few hours' drive farther south (~2 hrs more driving) and visiting Charleston. The weather won't be particularly great in either place in January, but you almost definitely won't see any snow there.

January is dead season for both Myrtle and Charleston, but on the whole you're going to find more things of interest to do in Charleston at that time of year than you are in Myrtle. There are numerous history-themed things to do (carriage tours, ghostwalks, USS Yorktown, Fort Sumter, CSN Hunley, etc.), plus there are a ton more good restaurants to choose from in Charleston than Myrtle. For shopping there's the Market area and King Street to explore downtown.

Also, you could possibly find a good deal on a beach house on either Sullivan's Island or Isle of Palms for the family, if you didn't want to stay in a hotel. The realty companies are often running January specials, and even without a special January has the lowest rates.

Here's a website I've often used to locate potential Charleston beach rentals:

www.islandrealty.com

Happy traveling!

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Charleston
Charleston
4. Re: “ Looking for a place to get out of the snow in the Northeas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2010, 06:16