We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been to North Carolina, please help!!!

Cleveland, OH
1 post
Save Topic
Never been to North Carolina, please help!!!

My family and I are finally planning a vacation for the first time in years. This coming year, we plan to go to North Carolina but we don't know where to start.

We would like to rent a vacation home for a week in of the North Carolina's beaches. However, we don't know what beach we would like to stay on, I've tried searching online but every description has been very vague.

We're looking for a beach that has a nice boardwalk, something that is easily accessible for someone who is in a wheelchair. At the same time where looking for something that has a good night life for 21+.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated? Thank you.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been to North Carolina, please help!!!

If you're hoping to find a Boardwalk like Atlantic City, look at the website below. Won't be the same!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&ie=ISO-8859-1&fkt=4477&fsdt=21138&q=Boardwalks%2FNC+Beaches&btnG=Google+Search

2. Re: Never been to North Carolina, please help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 December 2009, 18:35
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been to North Carolina, please help!!!

There are four general beabh destinations in NC, the Outer Banks, including Corolla and Nag's Head down to Okrakoke; the Atlanic Beach-Emerald Isle area flanked by histori Beaufort and Swansboro; the Wilmington area beaches from Topsail Beach to Oak Island and including the attractons of Wilmington, and the southern beaches which run to the state line just above N. Myrtle Beach. All areas have fishing piers, but not what I would call a boardwalk. That said, they all have beach shopping and entertainment areas, nearly allof which are accessible. I think Beaufort-Atlantic Beach, and Wrightsville near Wilmington would be your best choices, but all are excellent, offering plenty of diversions for all ages.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never been to North Carolina, please help!!!

I didn't notice much of a nightlife on Pleasure Island

Here is a shortcut to the link provided above

http://tinyurl.com/ycdjzwb

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never been to North Carolina, please help!!!

Carolina Beach: (Wilmington)

visitnc.com/journeys/…view

insiders.com/wilmington/main-nightlife2.htm

There are links to shopping, pubs, real estate, etc.

Pleasure Island - more for families & retirees, not for 21 year olds, in my opinion.

Wilmington: A lot of people are interested in the town since Dawson Creek was filmed there...

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Never been to North Carolina, please help!!!

Might try Myrtle Beach South Carolina. They are building a new boardwalk. There is lots to do there for all ages. You could rent a home at Surfside Beach. Very close to Myrtle Beach.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never been to North Carolina, please help!!!

I agree we don't have the type boardwalks that are famous at beaches further north on the east coast. For a boardwalk, Carolina Beach is your best choice in NC. and while I'm not current on the nightlife opportunities; the area may be your best bet for nightlife on our coast, since the University of North Carolina-Wilmington is nearby.

Most of our NC beaches are what I call "rural beaches" mostly beach houses, mom and pop motels, fishing piers, with a few restaurants and shops thrown in. No big boardwalks, or real center of attractions, but still a lot to offer families seeking relaxing vacation time together.

And while I agree you can find nightlife in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; I personally could not recommend a family vacation in or near there. They destroyed the heart of MB by tearing down the historic Pavilion theme park and oceanfront arcade and nightclub. Yes, there is supposed to be a new downtown boardwalk coming, but from what I've heard most of it's been delayed due to the poor economy. Your best bet for a large area of shops, restaurants, entertainment, etc. in the MB area is the Broadway at the Beach.... http://www.broadwayatthebeach.com/ However it is not on the oceanfront. We do enjoy spending a day there from time to time but we drive in from our beach house on family friendly Holden Beach, NC (1+ hour north of MB) we can't stand much more than that of all the people/traffic in and around Myrtle Beach.

MB and the surrounding areas (North Myrtle Beach, Surfside, and sadly even my childhood favorite Garden City, etc.) are now just too populated and crammed with bumper to bumper traffic for my taste of a relaxing family beach vacation. One of the few positives for you I can think of is that the city of Myrtle Beach offers limited use of wheelchairs built to be used on the beach to visitors needing them; read the details...... tripsmarter.com/myrtlebeach/info/info11.htm

If you really want to visit NC beaches, you may need to be more open to the great beach vacation opportunities that the beaches in our state offer. The area around Carolina Beach has lots to offer; an aquarium, lots of history, plus a lot more in addition to the boardwalk area.

The Outer Banks is another great NC beach destination, and is a place I think all Americans should visit at least once in their life. That area offers not only the beach, but tons of great American history, much of which is handicap accessible.

Our Brunswick Islands, and other small beach towns in NC offer great relaxing family vacations; great beaches, nice places to ride bikes, good fishing, great seafood restaurants, and family friendly activities such as putt-putt golf, arcades, ice cream parlors,etc. (even a small water side park in our Holden Beach) They are great places to slow down and spend time reconnecting with family members.

All of our NC beach towns offer handicap accessibility ramps to get to the beach.

Best of luck with your vacation plans.

Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never been to North Carolina, please help!!!

If you are not familiar with this area, I would recommend http://blog.outerbanksvacations.com/. This site has a ton of information on the area as well as upcoming activities, etc. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to help. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

roxboro
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Never been to North Carolina, please help!!!

Hello Crazycute36, I know Im late, just saw your post. I live in NC & love it but Im from Va just over the state line. Our family goes to Virginia Beach (its a stones throw from NC) and love it. Va Beach has an exelent board ride/skate/run/walk. And a night life for all walks of life. Not to mention Naval bases to tour, jets frying overhead & a Militar Aviation Museum. see

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/

also

www.virginia.org/site/description.asp…

10. Re: Never been to North Carolina, please help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2010, 06:19