We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for great 2-night stop on the way home....

Canal Winchester...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for great 2-night stop on the way home....

We'll be vacationing for spring break in Florida. We always try to take fun two-night stop on the way home. Last year we had alot of fun in Atlanta. This year we're looking for something different. There are five of us, parents and three kids (ages 12, 8, 8) - all girls. We like outdoor type things. We love the beach - but will be coming off 7 days of beach - so a beach stop would have to offer something different or unique to intrigue the kids on the way home. We're returning to central Ohio, but anything in NC would be fine - we aren't opposed to a little jog out of the way. Looking for any and all great ideas! Thanks in advance!

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for great 2-night stop on the way home....

Why not consider coming up I 26 throguh Spartanburg, SC, through the great art center of Hendersonville and continue up to Asheville, NC. For sightseeing in Asheville, there is the very famous Biltmore house (John Vanderbilt's summer house) and all the lovely views from the famous Grove Park Inn. You can spend some time in Waynesville, Maggie Valley and then visit Cherokee (official Cherokee Territory).

You can do a short jaunt into the Great Smoky Mountain Park and even a few miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are so many places to visit and view spectular scenery. You can Google many of the places I have mentioned, which, I'm sure, will whet your appetite. The Western part of NC is a place that 2 weeks would not suffice. Think about it!.

Edited: 31 December 2009, 21:20
Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for great 2-night stop on the way home....

P.S. - You can even pan or search for gems, do some river rafting, visit Grandfather Mountain and visit the artist colony at Penland. (Just a few other items off the top of my head)

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for great 2-night stop on the way home....

I never knew Hendersonville is the great art center. LOL!!

I wouldn't stay in the Hendersonville for an outdoor activities but I agree around Asheville there are many choices. When are you coming? In March and April some sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway are still going to be closed. Then go to the Great Smoky Mountains NP for a few days and from there travel to OH through TN and KY.

4. Re: Looking for great 2-night stop on the way home....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2010, 05:19