We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about areas to look to relocate

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
Confused about areas to look to relocate

My husband and I will be relocating hopefully by the summer. I have been on the Charlotte forum for info as he will be working in Charlotte and we would like to live not too far for an easier commute. I just got back from a fact finding trip to Union County. I saw 15 communities but narrowed it down to 5 that I really liked and were in my price range. I loved the look and feel of Union County however now I am second guessing the Weddington Schools. As great as I hear that they are, they are also grossly over crowded and from what I hear the staff can not keep up with the students. Now my question is, should I look somewhere else close to Charlotte. My kids are 9, 11 and 14 so the schools have to be good. I am Jewish, so I would like to be near the JCC and my price range is 300,000-400,000. Does anyone have some input on some possible other places I should look not too far from Charlotte, in my price range and with good schools??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about areas to look to relocate

Ajoy, you should speak with Dave Burnett - Director of Facilities, Planning and Construction for Union County Schools (704) 296-5960 and visit the website - …k12.nc.us/departments/Facilities/facilities… . He can give you a run down of the new schools they are building in Union County, the time frame and how they will affect the student population sizes in each one. The "Out of Capacity Spreadsheet" on the website is out of date though, which is why I called him. That sheet indicates current and projected school populations without accounting for the new schools, which is not fully explained on the website or the sheet. So it makes it look like in the year 2015, most of the schools will be at 2 1/2 times capacity. After speaking to Dave, he told me that the new schools that opened or that are opening in the future will draw students from existing schools. This will reduce the student population at the existing schools to full or a little over full capacity. Where each new school draws students from depends on what schools are in its proximity.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about areas to look to relocate

Ajoy, I know what you mean. You replied to my response about your fact finding mission and commute times.

I too read the comments on greatschools.net regarding the Weddington middle school. That really put me off as well. My boys are in 6th and 9th grades, so this was meaningful to me. As much as the lower taxes of Union County are appealing to me, I think I will try to stay in Charlotte. My husband spoke to someone who's son goes to South Meck and he loves it. If you look at their web site, there seems to be quite alot to be involved in there. You are pretty safe if you stay with South Meck or Providence High I'm told. I believe the real estate agent I spoke to said that they were building a new high school in Ballantyne for 2007. You might want to check that out as well.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about areas to look to relocate

hello ajoy: only because you are asking for other places to look at am I going to suggest the area that we relocated to. We are in Tega Cay, SC (www.tegacaysc.org). The schools our children attend our within the Fort Mill School District (our children attend Gold Hill Elem & Gold Hill Middle...both are within the same parking lot). We have been nothing but pleased with the schools here and the education that our children are receiving. Currently Fort Mill School District is building 2 new schools which were started this year and will be completed by the start of the next school year (1 middle and 1 high school). All of these areas that are close to Charlotte are exploding right now...but my family have been impressed with how the district seems to think ahead. We are right next to Fort Mill, SC which is another city that you might be interested too. We are about 20-25 minutes away from the JCC (we had some swimmeets that were held there last year). Wishing you good luck with your search!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about areas to look to relocate

Redjed-I cannot get on that website you gave me to check on the schools. Can you double check that it is right and give it to me again! Thanks! I am very interested to see it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about areas to look to relocate

The general web site for the Union County schools is www.ucps.k12.nc.us you will see a link on the right for facilites, if you click on it you will be able to link to their schedules and files.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about areas to look to relocate

I tried thelink and it worked for me, but try the main link like njsoccerlover suggested. Also, the Director of Facilities, Dave Burrnet is a real nice guy and answered all of my questions.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused about areas to look to relocate

I tried thelink and it worked for me, but try the main link like njsoccerlover suggested. Also, the Director of Facilities, Dave Burrnet is a real nice guy and answered all of my questions.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused about areas to look to relocate

Thanks for the info. My response is a little late but I did go on the website and saw the projections for the new schools. I would feel much better talking to Mr. Burnett as well which I have not done yet. Would he know where the redistricting line would be for the new school? I was told by someone at the HS that west of Providence Rd. would go to the new Crane Rd. Middle and High School but that could change. Knowing this info could help me better make a decision which development I would want to live in. I think I would like my kids to attend the new school of course after sweating it out for one year in the overcrowded existing ones! Any thoughts on this??

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused about areas to look to relocate

Ajoy, Mr. Bufrnett should be able to give you a general idea where the new schools will be. He may not have much info on redistricting since that is decided by the school board and others - also based on politcial factors. I think most of the general school locations have been decided, now they have to purchase land for them. There is some new info on the web site, and they should have more early next year.