We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historic attractions

Greensboro
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Historic attractions

In what order do you rank Colonial Williamsburg, Biltmore Estates, Tryon Palace, Historic Charleston and The Smithsonian as historic attractions, and why?

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Historic attractions

What do you mean " as historic attractions"? Do you mean the quality of the information ( historicity/authenticity)? Do you mean as far as activities to do at each? Which is more fun or interesting? I don't quite know what you mean.

Greensboro
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Historic attractions

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for a destination that will offer an enriching historic experience for my family, including an 11 and 14 year old. Does that help?

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
402 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Historic attractions

For an 11 and a 14 year old (the ages of my own kids), The Smithsonian would be number 1 on this list. So much to do, and all free! Natural History, American History, Air and Space, etc. Something for everyone.

Williamsburg is fabulous too. Lots of fun and close to the non historic diversions of Busch Gardens and Water Country.

Historic Charleston may be a bit slow for them unless they are really into Civil War history or architecture. I personally love it there.

Can't comment on the others, sorry. Haven't been there, but want to go!

Edited: 01 March 2010, 23:41
Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Historic attractions

Why don't you Google them and you decide. You know your family better than we do.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Historic attractions

Tryon Palace is not original. It is a reconstruction built in the 1950s across the street from the original location. The gardens are really nice, but I wouldn't put it on the top of a list as a historic location if you have such a broader section of the mid-Atlantic in your cross-hairs.

If you want a historic home, I suggest visiting Mount Vernon if you will be up near the D.C. area to visit the Smithsonian. Also near Mount Vernon is Woodlawn which was the home of G. Washington's nephew. Also on the grounds of Woodlawn is a Frank Lloyd Wright home, the Pope Leighey House which was relocated to Woodlawn to rescue it from demolition when an interstate was built. My kids (also the same age as yours) found the Pope Leighey house FASCINATING.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Historic attractions

As a teacher, my opinion for kids that age would be:

1.Williamsburg

2. Smithsonian

3.Charleston

4.Biltmore

5. Tryon

I based that on personal experience taking groups to most of those and the activities/interactions available to them. I also considered other attractions/experiences located close by. Best wishes.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Historic attractions

I agree with the comments above r.e. Washington, DC. Free admission to the Smithsonian, and an incredible amount of awe-inspiring things to see for kids that age (including the White House, the Capitol, the presidential monuments, etc.). That said, the other places you mentioned are worthy in their own right, especially if you consider other things in the area. For example, the Biltmore is definitely a must-see, but there are so many other cool things for kids in Asheville and the surrounding area-- Cradle of Forestry, Western NC Nature Center, Earth Sciences Museum, Mount Mitchell, rafting on the French Broad, Sliding Rock, just to name a few. Likewise, Charleston offers the USS Yorktown (a WWII aircraft carrier), Fort Sumter, the Charleston Museum, Charles Towne Landing, nearby beaches, etc.

And even New Bern/Tryon Palace, which pales in historic offerings when compared to DC, still offers lots of potential for a family vacation. You could visit New Bern, then continue on to the Outer Banks where there's lots of history, nature, and fun things for kids, including ferry rides, pirate lore, the Wright Bros. memorial, and lots more.

The point is, I think any of the destinations you listed would make a great vacation. Good luck!

Greensboro
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Historic attractions

Thanks for the comments and ideas. Leaning toward a more low key option, which may eliminate DC. Any other feedback about Charleston, Colonial WIlliamsburg, Tryon Palace Historic Sites and Gardens (New Bern, NC) or Biltmore Estates as enriching experiences from a historical perspective?

9. Re: Historic attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2010, 05:19