We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay in?

PA
6 posts
Save Topic
Which area to stay in?

We will be visitng the Charlette area for Memorial Day weekend for the NAscar race and are looking for suggestions on where to stay. We would like to be within 45 minutes. My husband is an outdoors person and would like to be somewhere relaxing with hiking, maybe fishing, or where we could have a campfire. I'd like to be near somewhere with shops. I've looked at Concord and Huntersville, but these areas seem more chain hotels. Where do you recommend? also, and musts to do?

Mentioned in this post
Concord
Concord
North Carolina
Huntersville
Huntersville
North Carolina
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay in?

I don't really think you can find what you are lookig for within a 45 minute drive bu if you are willing to venture a little further, I would suggest the Saluda/ Tryon area, where you will find all of the above. It's not quite the mountains but is a beautifu area with plenty of restaurants, nice accomodations, etc. including some really nice hikes, white water rating, or kayaking, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Saluda
Saluda
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Tryon
Tryon
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay in?

Sadly, not much but chain hotels/motels in the surrounding areas. On the other side of Charlotte from the speedway in and/or near Gaston County, NC you could tent camp or rent an RV in the area and camp at Kings Mountain State Park just over the NC/SC state line in Blacksburg, SC... (it would be about 45 minutes to a 1 hour drive to/from the speedway) southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/…945.aspx

The best mountain type hiking/climbing in the area is near Kings Mountain, at Crowder's Mountain State Park in Gaston County, NC... www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/crmo/main.php Only primitive camping allowed there, but it's a great place to spend the day.

Located beside Kings Mountain State Park is Kings Mountain National Park; lots of interesting history there.

--You'll find chain hotels near these areas if you'd rather have a hotel room.

As for shopping, not too far from Kings Mountain is Gaffney, SC there's a huge outlet shopping complex there..... www.primeoutlets.com/locations/gaffney.aspx also a huge Rug and Home store... http://www.rugandhome.com/Default.aspx

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Kings Mountain State Park
Kings Mountain State Park
81 Reviews
Blacksburg, SC
Blacksburg
Blacksburg
Virginia
Kings Mountain
Kings Mountain
North Carolina
NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay in?

I second what Mickey said. The Hampton Inn in Belmont is quite nice...but I'd be surprised if it isn't already booked. The Holiday Inn Express in Belmont is good too. It's between the speedway and the venues Mickey mentioned..

Mentioned in this post
Belmont
Belmont
North Carolina
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlotte North
The Holiday Inn Express...
88 Reviews
Charlotte, NC
4. Re: Which area to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 06:18