We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 week tent camping,need itinerary suggestions!

Blanco, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
5 week tent camping,need itinerary suggestions!

Two adults, 7yr old and small dog want to get out of TX heat July/Aug. Taking Toyota Corolla, tent and minimal gear. Looking for higher elevations (cooler temps), moderate hiking, swimming, berry picking, organic farms, bike/canoe rentals,occasional access to smaller towns, local library/theatre etc.... Prefer "home base" in one place for a few weeks w. daytripping, rather than moving every few days, so looking for max. 3 areas. Your suggestions? Much appreciated.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 week tent camping,need itinerary suggestions!

Check the Brevard/Hendersonville area - the Dupont State Forest/ Pisgah National Forest region. Beautiful areas and good location for day trips to lots of places quickly. You can also get into town easily for supplies, dining, entertainment, etc.....All the things you mentioned are in Henderson and Transylvania counties. Best wishes.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 week tent camping,need itinerary suggestions!

Fortunately there are lots of places in NC that will fit the bill. In addition to Bud's recommendation, you might also consider:

--The Fontana Lake area of the Nantahala National Forest. There are many camping facilities in this area. Tsali Trail is one that comes to mind (google for more info). You'll be relatively close to Bryson City, Dillsboro, and Sylva--nice small mountain towns.

--The Linville Gorge area of the Pisgah National Forest. Incredible scenery, lots of great trails.

--The Grandfather Mountain area. Check out Julian Price Park located on the Blue Ridge Parkway--camp next to a lake with boat rentals, plenty of hiking trails, and easy access to the towns of Boone and Blowing Rock.

Good luck!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 week tent camping,need itinerary suggestions!

I would give a look at Mile High Campground in North Carolina. It is just off the Blueridge parkway near Cherokee, NC. Based on its location it should be really cool. Do an internet search for it. They have a web page. Also in Cherokee in the mountains there is also Indian Creek Campground. They are back in the woods and on a stream. The temperatures are not bad. It can get quite cool at night there. I have camped there in july and it get in the low 60's at night. There are a tent campers favorite. They too have a web site.

John

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 week tent camping,need itinerary suggestions!

I would use these 3 campgrounds as base camps to cover western North Carolina.

1. Indian Boundry Campground on North Carolina/Tennessee state line. It has swimming bike riding and paddle boat rentals. It is near the small towns of Tellico Plains Tn. and Robinsville NC. Great hiking and rafting very close. The campground is at 2500 feet so it is cool at night. I would spend 1 week here.

2, Mt. Pisgah Campground on Blue Ridge Parkway near Brevard NC. It is at 5,000 feet so bring a sweater even in July. Lots to see and do in the area. Flat Rock has live theatre. Asheville is real close. Lots of waterfalls in the area. You and your child will love Sliding Rock on a hot day. Great blueberry picking here in August. Late July for blackberries. would spend 2 weeks here.

3. Julian Price Campground near Blowing Rock on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Swimming and boat rentals here. Lots to do in this area. Small towns of Boone and Blowing Rock to explore and shop. Lots of waterfalls in area. Gem mining is fun also. I would spend 2 weeks here.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 week tent camping,need itinerary suggestions!

I just want to confirm that both Mt. Pisgah and Julian Price campgrounds are great choices for higher elevations and access to many hiking trails along Blue Ridge Parkway. Mt. Pisgah Campground is located across from Pisgah Inn. Also while camping in these two campgrounds you have towns like Brevard and Waynesville or Boone and Blowing Rock a short drive away. I would skip Flat Rock theatre with 7 year old and small dog.

Btw, I got chiggers twice (!) while hiking in DuPont Forest in July so now I avoid this place at all possible cost. If you decide to visit DuPont Forest anyway, watch out for poison ivy as well.

Mile High Campground, Indian Creek Campground and Indian Boundary Campground sound ideal for the third location. I don't have any personal experience with them but descriptions sound very appealing.

Edited: 11 May 2010, 14:48
Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
75 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 week tent camping,need itinerary suggestions!

If I may add, I think most of the National Park Service campgrounds (Blue Ridge Parkway) have a 21 day max for camping but you would solve that by moving about somewhat.

Definitely check out the Pisgah National Forest and the Davidson River campground. Near Brevard, lots of waterfalls, Sliding Rock, Cradle of Forestry, fish hatchery and Brevards a nice little town with a great toy store downtown that a 7 year old would gyrate over. This area would be a National Forest Service area vs. National Park Service.

7. Re: 5 week tent camping,need itinerary suggestions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2010, 05:16