We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need camping help!!

Roanoke, Virginia
6 posts
Save Topic
Need camping help!!

I need some help planning a mini-camping vacation for my family of 3. We have a 5 year old son that LOVES water, so a nice pool or nearby water activities is a must. I am expecting in the Fall, so clean bath houses are important as well!!

We have been camping locally and want to venture out. We live close to Roanoke, but would like to travel 5 or less hours. And I need some help finding good, quality campgrounds away from home!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

South Carolina
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Need camping help!!

We've only camped about 4 yrs. I utilize the Reserveamerica site which you can use for any state. For federal parks- use reserve.gov.

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
75 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need camping help!!

You might want to check this out. Near Bryson City there is a rafting concessioner that runs a place called the Falling Waters Resort. It is specifically a yurt village. A yurt is a round mongolian tent. These yurts are extremely nice with tongue and groove floors, queen size beds with linens, mini fridges, etc... Between every couple of yurts are fire pits for cooking and picnic tables. Each yurt has a deck. In the middle of the yurts is a bathhouse, but instead of shower rooms for each sex there are 5 private bathrooms with showers, a hot tub, a place to do laundry, and a kitchen sink to wash up dishes. Its like camping luxe style. It is near the Nanthahala Outdoor Center and Fontana Lake. A whole lot around to do.

We stayed there a few years back and have wished to go back again but haven't found the time. You might like it. THey have a web site.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need camping help!!

We could help you better if you'd tell us what type of camping you do--primitive tent camping, RV camping, or what?

Here is a link with lots of camping info:

http://www.campingnc.com/

There are also some very nice state parks in NC:

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/main.php

And of course, the national parks/forests offer some awesome sites as well:

carolinaoutdoorsguide.com/CampingNationalPar…

Good luck and happy camping!

4. Re: Need camping help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 05:17