We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best NC beach area for a family-friendly Spring Break?

Warrenton, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best NC beach area for a family-friendly Spring Break?

We are a group of 3 to 4 families from DC/VA who would like to go to a NC beach for Spring Break, which is in mid-April this year. There will be several children ranging from 2 to 12 years. We would like to rent a house on the beach with a heated pool. What beach/town/area would be the best at this time of year? We also are interested in some kid-friendly activities such as go-karting, putt-putt, etc. Thanks.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best NC beach area for a family-friendly Spring Break?

Your best bets would be the Brunswick Islands on the southern NC coast; Holden Beach, Ocean Isle, and Sunset Beach. Each of these beaches have some nice large homes with heated pools which would suit your group. In addition to the local property management companies at each beach; I'd highly recommend checking VRBO.com ; HomeAway.com and other rent from owners websites. There are a number of very nice large homes listed on those websites, and I've discovered as both a homeowner and a renter; it's just a better deal all around for both homeowner and renter. We own a home on Holden Beach, so I'm partial to it, but they are all similar beach areas. There's an arcade, go-karts, and several putt-putt type courses,etc. at Holden, and I believe similar at Ocean Isle; not sure about Sunset. However, Sunset Beach is the closest to Myrtle Beach,S.C. where you'll find a lot of that type kid-friendly activities.

April can be nice and warm (like this past year---just wonderful! .. we felt like we were in Florida during our mid-April spring break week at Holden) or it can be quite cool, sometimes cold...just be prepared. Also, the amusement type activities may still have limited hours depending on your dates; so you'll want to check on that. Here's a website which lists these activities in the Brunswick Islands... ncbeaches.com/BrunswickBeaches/…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best NC beach area for a family-friendly Spring Break?

Agree-go as south as you can stand to drive. Southern NC beaches are treated to the effects of the Gulf Stream, so you will often find warmer weather, and possibly even water you can wade in (or swim-my crazy kids have!) even in April.

3. Re: Best NC beach area for a family-friendly Spring Break?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2011, 04:18