We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving blue ridge parkway in 2 days

chicago
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
driving blue ridge parkway in 2 days

hi everyone! i am finalizing our road trip 3rd week of october. i am wondering if 2 days is enough to drive from DC to Gatlinburg thru blueridge parkway. We plan to stay 2 nights at Gatlinburg before heading home to Chicago. We are leaving DC at 7:30am to Luray, tour Luray caverns for maybe 2-3 hours and then continue the drive to blue ridge. Question, where would you recommend we stay the first night if say we drive 5 hours away from Luray? Should I make reservations for hotels/cabins ahead of time or just find a place as we drive along? Since we have been to Smoky Mountains before (and LOVED it!), should we add 1 more day to Blue Ridge and the just spend 1 night in Gatlinburg? Opinions are very much appreciated. :) Btw, we don't plan to make any hikes as my dad will travel with us and made it very clear that he would rather not hike at this trip. Thank you guys!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,127 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving blue ridge parkway in 2 days

You may to post this on the Virginia and Tennessee forums.

conn
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving blue ridge parkway in 2 days

you can not drive the length of the blue ridge parkway in 2 days

Sweetser, Indiana
Level Contributor
141 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving blue ridge parkway in 2 days

We road the Blue Ridge Parkway from DC to Cherokee in 2 days on a motorcycle. It can be done with little stops along the way.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving blue ridge parkway in 2 days

I think the time of year you are visiting will make it very difficult to tour the entire length and get any enjoyment out of it. As it looks now...there will be a fair amount of color in the mountains then...so you won't be alone.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving blue ridge parkway in 2 days

Hey, you only live once. I say go for it.

The thing is, just about anywhere along the Parkway/Skyline Drive, you're less than an hour to a major interstate (I-81, I-77, and I-40). So if at any point it looks like time will be an issue, you can simply take the next road to the interstate and finish the trip on the highway. The only problem with this approach is that some of the best parts of the BRP are at the southern end around Asheville. So you might consider doing an earlier part of the journey by interstate so you'll have plenty of time to explore the southern BRP.

6. Re: driving blue ridge parkway in 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about North Carolina