We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter vacation suggestions

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Winter vacation suggestions

We live in the triangle area and I have a cousin and his wife visiting us mid Feb. We have 2 kids (1 and 3) and we are wondering what would be a good vacation destination for us to go to during that time of the year.

We are looking to spend 3-4 days and not fly anywhere. Because of the kids, driving more than 5-6 hours is kind of out.

I was considering Myrtle Beach, Mountains (Asheville or Boone etc) or Outer Banks. Any suggestions on what might be more fun during Feb.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Mayank

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Boone
Boone
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter vacation suggestions

I would suggest Outer Banks as Asheville/Boone could have some snow and cold weather. It wil be cold at OBX but I doubt it will be as cold as Asheville. The kids can play on the beach too. Another beach destination would be the Wilmington area and Wrightsville Beach. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
Boone
Boone
OBX Campground
OBX Campground
48 Reviews
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
Wrightsville Beach
Wrightsville Beach
North Carolina
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter vacation suggestions

I'm going to suggest going a little further south than Myrtle Beach......Charleston, SC. When our kids were little we took them down there several times during winter seasons. Charleston is right around 4 hours from Raleigh. Average high temperature for mid-February is low 60's...however today's high down there was 76 degrees!

My kids have loved the horse-drawn tours of the historic city since they were babies, although most times they'd fall asleep during the in tours...easier for us to enjoy the tours. :) Boat tours of the harbor, the SC aquarium, and a children's museum were other hits. Charleston is a great city to walk and enjoy, perfect for parents with strollers, also the near-by plantations, forts, etc. are easy to see with the kids in strollers.......and of course and you're lucky the weather could be warm enough to go play on the near-by beaches one day.

The mountains are either too cold or just kinda :"blah" in February.

The Outer Banks have very strong winds much of the winter, and can be quite cold.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Charleston
Charleston
Raleigh
Raleigh
North Carolina
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter vacation suggestions

I would have to agree with UNCMickey. Grant you, I am biased!

The beaches are nice even in winter. I really love the Banks and I have all my life but it can be COLD out there in February. There's an great Aquarium here that your little ones would enjoy. Walking around the HD with your family would be fun too.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter vacation suggestions

We love Litchfield - just south of Myrtle. Less crowded, lovely beaches...Brookgreen Gardens ( their multi-day pass is the best deal in the area) and Huntington Beach State Park. Lots to do and see in the area if you have kids.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter vacation suggestions

Thanks for the reply everyone. Looking at the average temps, we leaning towards going to Charleston.

Any suggestions on where (what area) to stay in? I looked up some of the offerings in downtown Charleston, and they looked like they were expensive and on the smaller side.

Since we are traveling with kids, we would prefer something more spacious and don't mind having to drive (actually, walking to places with kids might be hard anyway :)).

To Shanklemsw,

What did you mean by "HD"?

Thanks

Mayank

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter vacation suggestions

Oh sorry: the Historic District. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper in February.

You could look into staying out at one of the beaches. Isle of Palms and Folly have winter rentals. Your other option is a hotel in Mt Pleasant between Charleston and the barrier islands of Sullivans and IOP.We are really spoiled right now-it was 70 yesterday. Woohoo.

You may want to post on the Charleston forum for lots of input from my buddies.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Palms
Isle of Palms
Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant
Charleston
Charleston
Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh
Sullivan's Steakhouse...
338 Reviews
Raleigh, NC
The Charleston Inn
The Charleston Inn
87 Reviews
Hendersonville, NC
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter vacation suggestions

I agree. Out toward or on the beaches would most likely give you the most room and be the least expensive choices in February. You could also look on VRBO.com for beach homes and condos on Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island, and the other beach areas near Charleston. Most don't require minimum week long stay this time of year, and many homeowners would be happy to pick-up a rental in February......they may even be willing to make you a deal.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Palms
Isle of Palms
Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh
Sullivan's Steakhouse...
338 Reviews
Raleigh, NC
Charleston
Charleston
8. Re: Winter vacation suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 15:17