We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NC beach holiday - recommendations

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
22 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
NC beach holiday - recommendations

We are planning a road trip/beach vacation combo for next summer. We went to SoCal a couple of years ago and loved that. This time I quite fancy the east coast, which got me thinking of North Carolina. Any recommendations of where to spend a week or so on the beach? We are a couple in our 30s with a 3 year old son. We are looking for a place where there are a few restaurants preferably in walking distance and perhaps a charming town centre or harbour area. As we are in the early stages of our planning, any recommendations would be most welcome

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NC beach holiday - recommendations

I'd suggest the Wilmington, NC area beaches--Wrightsville, Carolina, Kure beaches. The waterfront is great, and they're all a short (10 minutes or so) drive into Wilmington where you'll find lots of history, restaurants, and waterfront shopping district, etc. There's also the USS North Carolina Battleship Memorial, the NC aquarium, Fort Fisher, and lots more if you get tired of the beach.

Here's a link with lots of info on all of NC's beaches. For Wilmington-area beaches, click on the "New Hanover Beaches" tab. You can also check out the many other beaches NC has to offer.

Hudson, NH
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NC beach holiday - recommendations

I am also looking to go to NC beaches but am interested in renting a cottage directly on the beach. I see that Myrtle Beach is mostly condos.

Thanks!!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NC beach holiday - recommendations

Arby is right, Lilja--- Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach sound the closest to what you describe that NC has.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NC beach holiday - recommendations

Lilja016, although we prefer a more, natural, less commercial beach, I too agree with the Wrightsville/Carolina beach recommendations for the type beach you're looking for in NC.

leanneHudson, if a beach of nothing but relaxing beach cottages/homes, no crowds, etc. appeals to you look at Holden Beach, NC. Plenty of restaurants, groceries, and some shopping just off the island, but on the island, no hotels, or high rise condos, etc. A beautiful, un-crowded peaceful beach. ..also, you may want to post your question as a new topic, to get more advice.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NC beach holiday - recommendations

Wilmington, N.C. area is a good recommendation. Topsail Island which is north of there is my favorite, and where I have been going for nearly forty years with four generations of family.

I also think it is a good choice as you will find it easy to travel into and out of with a fairly major airport in Wilmington.

Another plus is the southern beaches of North Carolina have warmer water temps than the northern ones (such as Corolla, Duck, etc.) because of the Gulf Stream water currents flowing out of the Gulf of Mexico and Florida.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NC beach holiday - recommendations

I second Topsail. It's a great place to visit. Here's a link to Topsail Dining.

TOPSAIL AREA DINING.................

http://topsaildining.blogspot.com/

NC
Level Contributor
582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NC beach holiday - recommendations

You won't go wrong with any of the beaches named above.

Carolina Beach and Surf City both have accommodations that are within walking distance to the marina and several restaurants. I would not chose either but they fit your criteria.

If you don't mind driving 5 minutes or so to get to a restaurant; look into Holden Beach or the southern Outer Banks (I like Buxton, Frisco, and Hatteras)

8. Re: NC beach holiday - recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 03:17