We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beaches to rent a cottage

Hudson, NH
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
best beaches to rent a cottage

Hi,

We are heading to NC the end of April and would like oppinions on the best beach to rent a cottage directly on the beach. Would like a place that the beach has nice sand and large for walking and playing wiffle ball and restaurants and groceries stores are not miles away.

Thanks for your help!!

NC
Level Contributor
469 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best beaches to rent a cottage

What you have asked for can be found at alot of beaches in NC. The beaches that I like that fits that criteria are:

Hatteras Island

Emerald Isle/Atlantic Beach

N Topsail

Kure Beach

Oak Island

Holden Beach

I don't go to the northern OBX for a variety of reasons but it is very nice and the closest NC beaches when coming from the north.

NC
Level Contributor
469 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best beaches to rent a cottage

What you have asked for can be found at alot of beaches in NC. The beaches that I like that fits that criteria are:

Hatteras Island

Emerald Isle/Atlantic Beach

N Topsail

Kure Beach

Oak Island

Holden Beach

I don't go to the northern OBX for a variety of reasons but it is very nice and the closest NC beaches when coming from the north.

Hudson, NH
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best beaches to rent a cottage

Thank You. Anyone know about Kill Devil Hills?

Edited: 12 March 2011, 18:22
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best beaches to rent a cottage

Being so early in the season I suggest for the best and warmest possible beach experience go to the southern NC beaches. The Outer Banks are a great place to vacation, so much history to see/do, but it is especially cool/cold and windy during spring months; there are also very strong currents off much of the OBX coast. ( why it's known as the Graveyard of the Atlantic) . If you were going mainly to sight-see it would be okay, but if you're looking for a good beach for walking/playing, the Outer Banks are not the best, especially off-season. Holden Beach is one of the southern-most N.C. beaches and is all beach cottages/houses, no hotels/high-rise condos. The beach there is nice, wide (especially the west end), and the waters there are rarely rough there, like in the OBX. There are 3 restaurants on the island, plus a small grocery store. Just over the island bridge, there are many more restaurants, and a large grocery store, plus other shopping. It's a great family-friendly beach.

Just FYI, even in southern NC, in April we do from time to time have some cool weather.

Hudson, NH
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best beaches to rent a cottage

thank you soo much. I was just about to rent a cottage but it doesn't sound like what we are looking for!!

6. Re: best beaches to rent a cottage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 02:17