We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outer Banks vs Myrtle Beach

Raleigh, North...
2 posts
Save Topic
Outer Banks vs Myrtle Beach

Hello Folks!!

I live in Raleigh, NC. I have some friends coming over in April. We wanted to go to some of the beaches around. I am unable to decide between Myrtle Beach and Outer Banks.

Have any of you been to both the places? Can someone give me a comparison of both the places? and also, the kind of outdoor activities available there?

Appreciate your response.

Thanks,

SN

Mentioned in this post
Raleigh
Raleigh
North Carolina
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,869 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outer Banks vs Myrtle Beach

Your choices in beach destinations couldn't be more different. Outer Banks is low key, beach houses, not commercialized. MB is geared towards tourists....high rise resorts, attractions, shopping, dining, etc.. Depends on what you are interested in. Of course, there are many beach destinations that fall somewhere in between.

Mentioned in this post
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
229 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outer Banks vs Myrtle Beach

I've been to both and have to say that it all depends on what you're looking for.

One difference is the water. Its usually warmer and calmer in Mrytle Beach, while the Outer Banks has colder, rougher water, with a stronger undertow. Generally speaking, both have good, wide, sandy beaches, but I've found them to be much more crowded at Mrytle.

Another difference is the type of development. Mrytle Beach is pretty heavily developed, with lots of high rise buildings, shopping malls, tee shirt shops, golf courses, and entertainment venues. There is always something to do, with a lot of night life and a lot of traffic.

There is a lot of variety in the Outer Banks. Some parts (Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, etc) are very densely developed with low rise condos and vacation houses. There are plenty of shopping and restaurant options and traffic can be an issue on Saturdays, which tend to be the rental check in day. Other areas (Rodanthe, Waves, etc.) are more sparsely developed and offer a more secluded alternative, although shops and restaurants are available. Then there are the 4x4 beaches, which have no paved roads at all. Vacation homes must be accessed across the beach in four wheel drive vehicles. These areas have no shops or restaurants. And The National Seashore consists of completely undeveloped shoreline.

Both areas have plenty of outdoor activities available. You can fish, boat, kayak, para sail, wind surf, golf, or go horseback riding in either location. Mrytle Beach has more golfing and The Outer Banks probably has more hiking areas. Jockey's Ridge in the Outer Banks is the tallest and dune in the Eastern US. It offers hiking, kite flying and hang gliding.

So it really all depends on what you want. If you want night life and hustle and bustle or have small children afraid of rough water, then Mrytle Beach might be best for you. But if you prefer less high rise development, want more seclusion or like rough waves, then you might want The Outer Banks.

I have a strong preference for The Outer Banks, but it's all a matter of personal taste.

Mentioned in this post
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
3. Re: Outer Banks vs Myrtle Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 13:15